Go down
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Empty Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Tue Dec 29 2015, 19:11
First topic message reminder :

I have been through it a few times now and have started coming to some concloosions about it, firstly the right turn into Poolstock Lane seems to operate in the same way as the right turn into Sainsburys, in that because traffic waiting to turn right at Sainsburys, invariably backs down the duel carriageway, blocking the right hand lane of the duel carriageway, when the lights operate to allow traffic to turn right into Sainsburys, the lights seem to remain on green until all the traffic as cleared the slip road and the same seems to be happening at the right turn into Poolstock Lane, the lights and sensors in the road allow most, if not all of the traffic wishing to turn right into Poolstock Lane to do so, before changing back to red and also and this should please tomplum (but it probably won't) when the traffic is flowing into Poolstock Lane from the duel carriageway, the traffic lights are on green for traffic turning left from Poolstock Lane on to the duel carriageway cheers

I suppose like gaffer suggested that could be improved by building a proper slip road from Poolstock Lane on to the duel carriageway on the land available there, but they (the powers that bee) want to discourage traffic from using Poolstock Lane and instead want the traffic to use the duel carriageway through Goose Green instead.

So I think the losers are traffic which uses Highfield Grange Avenue, which is folk who live in Winstanley and traffic which uses Winstanley as a rat run, well traffic shouldn't use Winstanley as a rat run and folk who live in Winstanley, well you shouldn't have moved to Winstanley should you, because in any case it's full of scousers affraid

Winners seem to be traffic coming down from the motorway towards Wigan and to a lesser extent traffic heading away from Wigan on the duel carriageway through Goose Green, because that traffic as to wait for traffic turning right into Poolstock Lane, but when new link road is built, there should be a lot less traffic wanting to go down Poolstock Lane, so that should speed things up for traffic heading away from Wigan Smile

Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Jun 24 2016, 11:07
The reason this happened was because they took roundabout away at bottom of the hill and water flowed backwards uphill and flooded school out, out of pure spite, because lights were on red at bottom of Highfield Grange Avenue Very Happy

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Image

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/flood-hit-school-still-closed-1-7980923
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:26
Mac wrote:They were spraying poisons on the route earlier today. I told them off for contaminating my land, They came on trying to show they hadn't touched anywhere till I showed them where they had burned plants from the last time. They skulked away.
Yesterday I saw a JCB scraping up crap on the new road route, at the side of the roundabout in Goose Green and in the pile of crap there was chicken wire, which no doubt had come from the allotments, which used to be there.

New houses and road route, near to Warrington Road at Goose Green.
Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Al01

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Al02

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Al03

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Al04

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Al05

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Al06

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 15:40
Used to be a lovely walk there
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 16:55
Mac wrote:Used to be a lovely walk there
Aye it certainly was.

Autumn
Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Ggvp01

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 Ggvp02
Vixen
Vixen

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 21:57
on Friday there was a guy walking up and down the old line with one of those ground radar thingys that they use on Time Team

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:03
Ooo, wonder what he was looking for. Bit strange a JCB clearing bits of metal off the path then this geezer detecting. I was over this aft and saw the tracks of the JCB, it only scraped the surface in places, and not at all in the rest.
There were a few people with drilling equipment about yesterday, testing the earth..
Vixen
Vixen

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:22
goodness knows what they used to build that line, in places it was hot and burning when we were kids

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:27
I have an old friend who tells me what was about the area during the war, I will ask hi what was about when he was a youth. he is in his 90's now and sharp as a tack. ((ex RAF).
Vixen
Vixen

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:31
lots of flint in it, not seen now cos it's so overgrown, we collected loads of fossils

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:32
I took a lot of stone off it recently, Heaving with slate
Vixen
Vixen

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:38
yep that too...
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:40
@Vixen wrote:goodness knows what they used to build that line, in places it was hot and burning when we were kids
The embankments were built with colliery spoil and there is a site somewhere on the interweb, which tells you which colliery the spoil came from, but I can't find it.
Vixen
Vixen

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:42
well keep looking......
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:44
@Vixen wrote:well keep looking......
Ok Smile
Vixen
Vixen

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:44
Razz
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

on Sat Jun 25 2016, 22:49
Probably some slag from Pem.

on Sun Jun 26 2016, 16:38
Went for a walk with an elderly chap who is full of info just before. At the bottom of the path, where the little bridge is, well just before that was Browns Factory, and on the other side of the little bridge was Melling's Foundry they made ship's props and other large stuff. Before that was a pit, the shafts are still there (The young lad who fell in will tell you where that was.

The train line was there long before the war, the old bridge that went over the canal was built over another older bridge that was taken down with the newer one. Anyway, there was a rise on trhe route around where the Tippings is (Just before) and the train had to stop so another engine could push it up, and when it was stopped, some chaps ran up to the train and ran off with bananas, a never before seen fruit This was somewhere around 43/44. He was 6 ish. Anyway, the other side was fields with cows in it and the like, and it was called 'the reck', (recreation land), and there was a coach road with ran alongside the brook.
There were more streets parallel to the one opposite the new School.

On the other side of the fields was a road that came off Warrington Rd called Mill Lane , and some houses, ramshackle old things that had sinks that were carved out of stone. The tenants of one house were called Wilkins, that house was demolished around 20 years ago.

Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Mon Jun 27 2016, 22:42
Today I saw the JCB on the Scotmans Flash side of the embankment, just off Poolstock Lane and thinking about it I saw a van last week on the roundabout at Goose Green, which probably had something to do with whatever they are dooing now with the new road route ....

So are they .........

Getting ready to start work on the new road and are clearing the site of crap

OR

Are they 'mothballing' the route Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 5 2027234125

on Tue Jun 28 2016, 06:31
The job cleared some fly tipped crap is all, no actual work. There are still chemical sprayers going on though, but maybe that's just for the hogweed.

on Fri Jul 01 2016, 12:33
The work on the new road is due to start in September.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Fri Jul 01 2016, 13:26
Mac wrote:The work on the new road is due to start in September.
Oh well that should please a lot of folk round there Very Happy

Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Fri Jul 01 2016, 13:28
And it will give tomplum something else to moan about Very Happy

on Fri Jul 01 2016, 13:33
They will be building an accoustic fence to dampen the noise the road creates. Sad really because it was a beautiful wildlife haven until recently.
Rememeber this thread, because a couple of years into the future, when it's built, there will be no relief brought about by it, just pollution and tailbacks.

Once it was a beautiful walk, somewhere to enjoy.
tomplum
tomplum
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

on Fri Jul 01 2016, 15:20
@Sir Bob wrote:And it will give tomplum something else to moan about Very Happy

on the contrary sir bob, the sooner the better but it won't make a wazz in the ocean's worth of differance, they're making a new road but closing Poolstock Lane, that means there will still only be 2 major roads into and out of wigan and Warrinton road has a built in restriction ( scooow bridge) and a filter lane at the saddle that no one knows how to use, Plus In the 3 years it will take to build the motorists will have grown by a couple of hundred thousand at least ,
I'll say this again,,the problem is too many motorists,that problem needs addressing,
build proper cycle lanes with no cars on them, make public transport attractive,stop the school runs and needless car journeys, this is the way forward and eventually it will be realized,

Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Fri Jul 01 2016, 15:39
tomplum

Yoo have just proved me point, because they have not even started building it yet and you are moaning about it already Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum