Share
Go down
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Tue Dec 29 2015, 19:11
First topic message reminder :

I have been through it a few times now and have started coming to some concloosions about it, firstly the right turn into Poolstock Lane seems to operate in the same way as the right turn into Sainsburys, in that because traffic waiting to turn right at Sainsburys, invariably backs down the duel carriageway, blocking the right hand lane of the duel carriageway, when the lights operate to allow traffic to turn right into Sainsburys, the lights seem to remain on green until all the traffic as cleared the slip road and the same seems to be happening at the right turn into Poolstock Lane, the lights and sensors in the road allow most, if not all of the traffic wishing to turn right into Poolstock Lane to do so, before changing back to red and also and this should please tomplum (but it probably won't) when the traffic is flowing into Poolstock Lane from the duel carriageway, the traffic lights are on green for traffic turning left from Poolstock Lane on to the duel carriageway cheers

I suppose like gaffer suggested that could be improved by building a proper slip road from Poolstock Lane on to the duel carriageway on the land available there, but they (the powers that bee) want to discourage traffic from using Poolstock Lane and instead want the traffic to use the duel carriageway through Goose Green instead.

So I think the losers are traffic which uses Highfield Grange Avenue, which is folk who live in Winstanley and traffic which uses Winstanley as a rat run, well traffic shouldn't use Winstanley as a rat run and folk who live in Winstanley, well you shouldn't have moved to Winstanley should you, because in any case it's full of scousers affraid

Winners seem to be traffic coming down from the motorway towards Wigan and to a lesser extent traffic heading away from Wigan on the duel carriageway through Goose Green, because that traffic as to wait for traffic turning right into Poolstock Lane, but when new link road is built, there should be a lot less traffic wanting to go down Poolstock Lane, so that should speed things up for traffic heading away from Wigan Smile




tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:53
@mache wrote:From Poolstock


Before the junction was 'improved' there would be standing traffic from Poolstock at peak times only, the rest of the day it would be clear, Now you will be lucky NOT to queue any time of the day, Bumper to bumper from the lights to Marus avenue most of the day and bumper to bumper from the lights to Carr lane and beyond at peak times,
And now a new game has started, Russian roulette in the opposite lane, the rules are these, Instead of waiting in line to go right, jump into the right hand lane and try to get to the empty short lane to turn right into Warrington road, Its essential to gun the car up to 60 mph to reach the lane or the traffic coming from the opposite direction will block your path,

tonker
tonker
Posts : 6794
Join date : 2013-12-05
Location : Metropolitan Borough of Haydock

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Thu Apr 21 2016, 18:58
"Murray Walker"!
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Thu Apr 21 2016, 20:44
scratch
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Thu Apr 21 2016, 21:05
Last Friday I was at the lights on Warrington Road, waiting to go ahead up Warrington Road towards the motorway and the traffic was on green in the opposite direction with traffic whizzing (yes whizzing) into Poolstock Lane from the slip road on Warrington Road and just as the lights changed to red for the right turn into Poolstock Lane and green on my side of the lights to go forward, a transit van in the right hand lane coming down from the motorway, which should have gone straight on down Warrington Road towards Clap Gate Lane, the van swerved right on the junction and across the traffic which was just starting to move forward and it went into Poolstock Lane Shocked

If roundabout had still been there he would not have been able to do that cheers
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Thu Apr 21 2016, 22:20
I've noticed they've now put give way signs on the Poolstock Lane lane going left towards the motorway, This defies all highwaycode logic, the only traffic coming that way when you're on a green light are U turn offenders,

this means that if you obey the giveway sign, you're respecting traffic in breach of highway code,,,,only Wigan Clowncil could think of that,
avatar
baker boy
Posts : 2021
Join date : 2014-02-05
Location : south wigan,actually pemb

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Thu Apr 21 2016, 22:49
what, what. where the hell do you people live.
a typical trip to Sainsbury's for ourselves, bump along fulbeck ave wait an eternity at the lights at the ben Johnson pub,cross fifty yards to the next set of lights same eternity to cross to sainsburys.
from the shop wait again at lights to proceed down to marus bridge hell hole,cross said lights ,try to turn right into marus ave,eventually get a gap in waiting traffic off poolstock lane to marus bridge improved junction Mad 😢skulk back to baker towers.
well done smitty and co conspirators,vote labour in may ,my jim royle.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:51
@baker boy wrote:what, what. where the hell do you people live.
a typical trip to Sainsbury's for ourselves, bump along fulbeck ave wait an eternity at the lights at the ben Johnson pub,cross fifty yards to the next set of lights same eternity to cross to sainsburys.
from the shop wait again at lights to proceed down to marus bridge hell hole,cross said lights ,try to turn right into marus ave,eventually get a gap in waiting traffic off poolstock lane to marus bridge improved junction Mad 😢skulk back to baker towers.
well done smitty and co conspirators,vote labour in may ,my jim royle.
The traffic system at the top of Fulbeck Avenue was made over 20 years ago when Sainsburys opened and I think you are lucky to still have a right turn there, I believe that at some time in the future, that junction will be remodelled and the right turn will be taken away and traffic exiting Fulbeck Avenue will only be able to turn left, which will mean a trip up to the island and back down the duel carriageway for traffic wishing to go towards Wigan.

You will have something to moan about then won't you cheers
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:55
@tomplum wrote:I've noticed they've now put give way signs on the Poolstock Lane lane going left towards the motorway, This defies all highwaycode logic,  the only traffic coming that way when you're on a green light are U turn offenders,

this means that if you obey the giveway sign, you're respecting traffic in breach of highway code,,,,only Wigan Clowncil could think of that,

pomtlum

The reason that there is a give way sign there, is because that is the way junctions like that are meant to work and it comes down to giving way to traffic coming from the right, now the reason the traffic is coming from the right is what you are on about, but at that junction traffic still coming from the right, when the light turns to green at the end of Poolsock Lane, could be doing so for a number of reasons, firstly traffic which is turning right from Highfield Grange Avenue, into Warrington Road, you are required to let traffic clear any junction, before proceeding, when your light turns to green and the other reason why traffic maybe coming from the right are 'naughty' reasons, going through red lights or as you have pointed out, traffic doing the illegal huey, in any case you have to give way to such traffic for safety reasons, although it may be very annoying for you to do so.

And junction design as nothing to do with the council, the council have to build junctions to central Government specifications.
avatar
Guest
Guest

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Apr 22 2016, 11:28
Then what do highway dept actually do...Apart from employing lying imbeciles to spend the day on whingingworld?
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Apr 22 2016, 15:23
Bir Sob,  you talketh heap big steaming pile of manure, If the junction is marked and sign posted as you say, then why are there no give way signs on the highfield Grange left turn into Warrington Road, ? Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 2027234125
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Apr 22 2016, 15:27
and furthermore why are there 'no U turn' signs on the lights where the motorist can see them,, there are at the opposite lights , scratch
stumpy
stumpy
Posts : 4554
Join date : 2013-12-06

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Fri Apr 22 2016, 16:20
I have been told that the no U turn sign has gone is this true
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Sat Apr 23 2016, 10:13
Thank you stumpy, I've just checked and the 'no U turn sign' has gone,

And this explains the give way signs and dotted lines,,,U turns are not ilegal
here and that answers my question which bir Sob splattered a load of pongo about,,,

You've read it here on WR U turns are allowed at Marus Bridge junction, Beware,
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Sat Apr 23 2016, 10:27
@tomplum wrote:Thank you stumpy, I've just checked and the 'no U turn sign' has gone,

And this explains the give way signs and dotted lines,,,U turns are not ilegal
here and that answers my question which bir Sob  splattered a load of pongo about,,,

You've read it here on WR U turns are allowed at Marus Bridge junction, Beware,
tomplum

I never saw the no yoo turn sign there, I just took 'your' word for it, that it was there and now you are giving me poo, over something which YOO said was there affraid

You are like bakerboy, you are a silly sausage clown
avatar
Guest
Guest

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Sat Apr 23 2016, 11:02
Chill pill, Gents. Opinions and bum holes.
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Sat Apr 23 2016, 11:49
its only banter from my side I like sir bob, but A proffesional driver not seeing a road sign is testiment to the fact that that road sign was put in the wrong place in the first place, They even had that digital road sign going for a while saying " no u turns" now the clownsil have made a big U turn itself allowing U turns, Which is in a way an admitance that they've made a mistake, Very Happy
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Sat Apr 23 2016, 12:50
@tomplum wrote:its only banter from my side I like sir bob, but A proffesional driver not seeing a road sign is testiment to the fact that that road sign was put in the wrong place in the first place, They even had that digital road sign going for a while saying " no u turns" now the clownsil have made a big U turn itself allowing U turns, Which is in a way an admitance that they've made a mistake, Very Happy
Well to be perfectly honest I think it is a good idea letting traffic do the huey there, but I have a feeling that it will 'not' be allowed and a new sign will appear on the duel carriageway, because apart from the safety concerns and traffic laws governing how junctions can be operated, the u-turns slow down the traffic turning right into Poolstock Lane and impede traffic turning left from Poolstock Lane.
mache
mache
Posts : 17433
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 98
Location : Sodbury in Makerfield

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Apr 27 2016, 14:12
Went through again today, had to slow down to 10 mph at the lights at St Pauls ave, fortunately they turned to green and foot down all the way to Bryn
tomplum
tomplum
Posts : 8843
Join date : 2013-12-05
Age : 66
Location : notreetsville
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Apr 27 2016, 15:02
driving a steam roller is a different thing altogether mache,
Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Bike211
mache
mache
Posts : 17433
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 98
Location : Sodbury in Makerfield

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Apr 27 2016, 15:38
I am available to use this route more often but terryfing other road users into going another way comes at a cost but my charges are negotiable
avatar
Guest
Guest

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Jun 15 2016, 18:41
Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 13412201_10205720700249867_8034580158610820859_o
stumpy
stumpy
Posts : 4554
Join date : 2013-12-06

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Jun 15 2016, 18:48
idiot trying to cross the grass verge  Wigan council should never have done away with the roundabout
stumpy
stumpy
Posts : 4554
Join date : 2013-12-06

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Jun 15 2016, 19:03
the BBC still call it Marus bridge roundabout
avatar
Guest
Guest

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Jun 15 2016, 19:04
lol
Sir Bob
Sir Bob
Posts : 7618
Join date : 2013-12-07

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Wed Jun 15 2016, 19:04
I have been using that junction a bit more lately and yesterday I found myself on St Pauls Avenue at Worsley Mesnes at 4.55pm and I intended to travel towards Wigan on Poolstock Lane, but the traffic was backing back past that junction, towards Marus Bridge, because of the temporary traffic lights outside of the old Eckersley Pub, that being because a new electric supply is being provided to that place.

So I turned right instead of sitting in a long traffic jam and journeyed towards the Marus Bridge Junction and I went straight through no traffic and just missed the lights there, which meant that I observed the entire sequence of traffic light changes at 5.00pm (busy time) and just to explain there was no traffic on Poolstock Lane, because the afore mentioned traffic lights at the old Eckersley, was holding up the traffic coming from Wigan.

So I had a good look and I am of the opinion that the U -Turn back up Warrington Road is legal and planned, because of the two bright yellow give way signs at the exit from Poolstock Lane into Warrington Road, for going South up towards the motorway, there are no give way signs for traffic going straight on or turning right from Poolstock Lane, so you will find that it is easier to do a U-Turn, than it was going around the roundabout and then back up Warrington Road towards the Ben Johnson clown
Sponsored content

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) - Page 3 Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum