Share
Go down
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:00
A very warm welcome fellow crossworders.
Hope your brains are in fine fettle.
Have a bash at these belters.

GOOD LUCK

WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 31-1-18


1)  A French water supply is not healthy  (6)  U _ _ _ _ L
An easy one to start with.
See if you can suss it.


2)  Breathtaking act clears up mess.  (11)  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
An anagram (mess) of ACT CLEARS UP.


3)  Enjoy your meal in Paris (3 7)   _ _ _     _ _ _ _ _ _ _
How you might say ‘enjoy your meal’.
 

4)  Where ignorance is bliss? (5, 8 )   F _ _ _ S      P _ _ _ D _ _ E
No help.
 

5)  Former Prime Minister has argument at airport. (8 )   H _ _ _ _ _ _ _
A 1970’s PM, followed by a 3 letter word for an argument.


(6)  Sunk at the end of round one (6)   _ _ _ _ _ _
In consecutive letters in the clue.


7)  Are they crazy about the moon?.   (8 )    L _ _ _ _ _ _ S
A bit of wordplay, see if you can work it out


8 )  Trap Scotsman returning computer peripheral  (6)  W _ _ _ _ _
Trap in this case is an insect’s trap, followed by what a Scotsman
may be called reversed (returning).


9) Pious tear always covered up  (8 )  R _ _ _ _ _ _ T
Tear in this case means RIP, with a 4 letter word for ALWAYS inside.


10)  Feel slur involved nationalism (4-4)   S _ _ _     _ _ _ _
A final anagram (involved) of FEEL SLUR.
Think BREXIT.
avatar
jo anne
Posts : 2712
Join date : 2015-06-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:12
Evening, Ray Smile

1) urinal
3)  Bon apetite
4)  Fools paradise 
5)  Heathrow
(6) undone
7)  lunatics 
10)  self rule
avatar
Gassey
Posts : 1556
Join date : 2016-10-18
Age : 65
Location : Pemberton

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:13
@raymyjamie wrote:A very warm welcome fellow crossworders.
Hope your brains are in fine fettle.
Have a bash at these belters.

GOOD LUCK

WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 31-1-18


1)  A French water supply is not healthy  (6)  UNWELL
An easy one to start with.
See if you can suss it.


2)  Breathtaking act clears up mess.  (11)  SPECTACULAR
An anagram (mess) of ACT CLEARS UP.


3)  Enjoy your meal in Paris (3 7)   BON APETTIT
How you might say ‘enjoy your meal’.
 

4)  Where ignorance is bliss? (5, 8 )   FOOLS      PARADISE
No help.
 

5)  Former Prime Minister has argument at airport. (8 )   HEATHROW
A 1970’s PM, followed by a 3 letter word for an argument.


(6)  Sunk at the end of round one (6)   UNDONE
In consecutive letters in the clue.


7)  Are they crazy about the moon?.   (8 )    LUNATICS
A bit of wordplay, see if you can work it out


8 )  Trap Scotsman returning computer peripheral  (6)  WEBCAM
Trap in this case is an insect’s trap, followed by what a Scotsman
may be called reversed (returning).


9) Pious tear always covered up  (8 )  REVERENT
Tear in this case means RIP, with a 4 letter word for ALWAYS inside.


10)  Feel slur involved nationalism (4-4)   SELF. RULE
A final anagram (involved) of FEEL SLUR.
Think BREXIT.
avatar
maureen
Posts : 2737
Join date : 2014-07-28
Location : Wigan

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:15
2 Unwell
2 Spectacular
4 Fools paradise
5 Heathrow
6 Umdone?.a guess
7 Lunatics
9 Reverent
10 Self rule


Last edited by maureen on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:18; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Hieronymous
Posts : 5895
Join date : 2013-12-05
Location : The front of beyond

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:16
1. Unwell


2. Spectacular


3. Bon appetit


4. Fool's paradise


5. Heathrow


6. Done?


7. Loonies


8. If you mean web then that is not an insect's trap. Unfortunately I cannot think of a three letter word for a Scotsman either way.


9. Reverent


10. Self rule
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:16
@jo anne wrote:Evening, Ray Smile

1) urinal
3)  Bon apetite
4)  Fools paradise 
5)  Heathrow
(6) undone
7)  lunatics  
10)  self rule

Evening Jo Anne.

Very well done inndeed, and in super quick time too.
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 41752
Join date : 2013-12-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:16
1. Un well

3. Bon Apetite

4. Fools Paradise

5.Heathrow

6. undone

7. Lunatics

8 Web cam

10 Self rule

avatar
Hieronymous
Posts : 5895
Join date : 2013-12-05
Location : The front of beyond

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:18
Aaarrgghh! UNdone!! And how could I not think of 'Mac'?
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:18
@Gassey wrote:
@raymyjamie wrote:A very warm welcome fellow crossworders.
Hope your brains are in fine fettle.
Have a bash at these belters.

GOOD LUCK

WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 31-1-18


1)  A French water supply is not healthy  (6)  UNWELL
An easy one to start with.
See if you can suss it.


2)  Breathtaking act clears up mess.  (11)  SPECTACULAR
An anagram (mess) of ACT CLEARS UP.


3)  Enjoy your meal in Paris (3 7)   BON APETTIT
How you might say ‘enjoy your meal’.
 

4)  Where ignorance is bliss? (5, 8 )   FOOLS      PARADISE
No help.
 

5)  Former Prime Minister has argument at airport. (8 )   HEATHROW
A 1970’s PM, followed by a 3 letter word for an argument.


(6)  Sunk at the end of round one (6)   UNDONE
In consecutive letters in the clue.


7)  Are they crazy about the moon?.   (8 )    LUNATICS
A bit of wordplay, see if you can work it out


8 )  Trap Scotsman returning computer peripheral  (6)  WEBCAM
Trap in this case is an insect’s trap, followed by what a Scotsman
may be called reversed (returning).


9) Pious tear always covered up  (8 )  REVERENT
Tear in this case means RIP, with a 4 letter word for ALWAYS inside.


10)  Feel slur involved nationalism (4-4)   SELF. RULE
A final anagram (involved) of FEEL SLUR.
Think BREXIT.

Very well done indeed Gassey.

A full house.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:20
@maureen wrote:2 Unwell
2 Spectacular
4 Fools paradise
5 Heathrow
6 Umdone?.a guess
7 Lunatics
9 Reverent
10 Self rule

Evening Mo.

Brilliant Xwording from you.
avatar
maureen
Posts : 2737
Join date : 2014-07-28
Location : Wigan

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:20
I meant to put undone for no. 6 Ray not Umdone.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:24
@Hieronymous wrote:1. Unwell


2. Spectacular


3. Bon appetit


4. Fool's paradise


5. Heathrow


6. UNDone? 6 letters


7. Loonies


8. If you mean web then that is not an insect's trap. Unfortunately I cannot think of a three letter word for a Scotsman either way.
How about what a lot of Scottish surnames start with.

9. Reverent


10. Self rule

A very good bit of solving mon ami.

Have another bash at clue 8.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:25
@maureen wrote:I meant to put undone for no. 6 Ray not Umdone.

I didn't even notice Mo Embarassed Laughing

But I haven't got the best eyesight in the world.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:26
@Hieronymous wrote:Aaarrgghh! UNdone!! And how could I not think of 'Mac'?

LOL Laughing

The other usual crossword name for a Scotsman is 'IAN'.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:28
@Admin wrote:1. Un well

3. Bon Apetite

4. Fools Paradise

5.Heathrow

6. undone

7. Lunatics

8 Web cam

10 Self rule



Evening Mrs A.

A really excellent bit of solving, well done.
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 41752
Join date : 2013-12-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:33
The body is weak etc etc
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:39
Hope you're feeling a little better Mrs A.

Its certainly not affected your brain.
avatar
maureen
Posts : 2737
Join date : 2014-07-28
Location : Wigan

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:43
Thanks very much again for another belter Ray..
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 20:45
Thank you Mo .

Very well done tonight
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 21:55
A little story.
Clue 7 was the very first cryptic clue I ever solved.
I used to knock about with a lad called Tony who lived on Smithy Green on Ince Bar.
His Dad had been a POW in WW2 and never worked after the war due to ill health and was a stay-at-home Father.
He used to do crosswords, and one day he read out that clue as he was struggling with it.
I answered it straight away and he was amazed.
I never forgot that clue, and it is 60 years old.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 22:05
Very well done tonight everybody.
Excellent Xwording as always.


WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 31-1-18


1) A French water supply is not healthy (6)
UNWELL

2) Breathtaking act clears up mess. (11)
SPECTACULAR

3) Enjoy your meal in Paris (3 7)
BON APPETIT

4) Where ignorance is bliss? (5, 8 )
FOOL’S PARADISE

5) Former Prime Minister has argument at airport. (8 )
HEATHROW

(6) Sunk at the end of round one (6)
UNDONE

7) Are they crazy about the moon?. (8 )
LUNATICS

8 ) Trap Scotsman returning computer peripheral (6)
WEBCAM

9) Pious tear always covered up (8 )
REVERENT

10) Feel slur involved nationalism (4-4)
SELF RULE
avatar
jo anne
Posts : 2712
Join date : 2015-06-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 22:10
Thanks, Ray, I thought my number 1) was a bit dubious. EmbarassedVery Happy
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 22:18
Yes, most unlike you Jo Anne.

I underline the 'clue word' or 'clue phrase' so that you

have something to work with.

Clue 1 the 'clue phrase' was 'not healthy'.

So we have :-

A French = Un

followed by water supply = well.

= Unwell.
avatar
maureen
Posts : 2737
Join date : 2014-07-28
Location : Wigan

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 23:02
Ray,was his name Sankey by any chance.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13239
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

on Wed Jan 31 2018, 23:05
Blimey Mo, you are spot on

I think his Dad's name was Harold.

I wonder if you knew his Mum, a Scottish lady, she was a nurse.
Sponsored content

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 31-1-18

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum