Share
Go down
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Fri Feb 09 2018, 20:00
First topic message reminder :

A very Good Evening to all you Rejects.
A warm welcome awaits you in the Reject’s Bar.
Gerrapintin.
Get settled.
Let’s have a beltin’ bash.

NSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18


1) What singer had a 1992 hit with ‘I will Always Love You’?

2) Geography, which state in the US is the biggest by area?

3) TV, who was the actress who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street for 34 years.

4) Film, which actor played the role of Han Solo in the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy of films?

5) What was Elvis Presley’s middle name?

6) Food and drink, what type of foodstuff are ‘Porcini’?

7) Science, which planet in our solar system is known as ‘The Blue Planet’?

8 ) 'The ultimate driving machine' is an advertising slogan for which make of car?

9) Sport, which Championship football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?

10) History, in which battle was Nelson killed?

11) The song ‘I Don't Know How To Love Him’ comes from what musical show?

12) What Biblical event does Maundy Thursday celebrate?

13) Literature, first published in 1814, who wrote the classic novel ’Mansfield Park’?

14) What weapon would you associate with Damocles?

15) Film, in the 1995 film ‘The Bridges of Madison County’, which actress starred alongside Clint Eastwood?

16) TV, which actor played Norman ‘Cleggy’ Clegg’ in ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and was the voice of Wallace in ‘Wallace and Gromit’?

17) Who had a 1971 hit with ‘American Pie’?

18) Science, what ‘M’ is the name given to the molten rock beneath the surface
of the earth?

19) “The Lass that Loved a Sailor” is the subtitle of which Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera?

20) History, first issued in 1840, what was the name of the first British postage stamp?

21) Food and drink, what type of foodstuff is Penne?

22) Geography, Rabat is the capital city of which North African country?

23) Literature, who wrote the 2003 blockbuster novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’?

24) In which UK city was ‘R.M.S Titanic’ built in?, an clew, it was built by Harland and Wolff.

25) ♪♫Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here♪♫

From what Beatles song are those the opening lines?


ART BONUS QUESTIONS


BQ1) Who painted the most famous painting in the world, ‘The Mona Lisa’ or ‘La Gioconda’?

BQ2) What large metal artwork situated in North East England did Antony Gormley design?

BQ3) Which French sculptor produced the 1882 marble work ‘The Kiss’?

BQ4) Which artist of the ‘Young British Artists’ (YBA’s) of the 1990’s, became famous for a series of artworks in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow, are preserved in formaldehyde?

BQ5) Finished in 1821, who painted one of the most recognisable English paintings ‘The Haywain’?

STINKER) In 1885, after being sentenced to death by hanging, how did John ‘Babacombe’ Lee survive three attempts by the hangman?

TRICKY) The inhabitants of which remote island group in the South Atlantic were evacuated to Britain in 1961 after a volcanic eruption?

avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Fri Feb 09 2018, 22:29
LOL, I love the piccy WW, thank you.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Fri Feb 09 2018, 22:33
I'm holding the answers back till tomorrow as Gassey is on the pis

having a nice holiday in Blackpool.
avatar
Corky Ringspot
Posts : 52545
Join date : 2013-12-04
Location : Up a nick in Russia

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Fri Feb 09 2018, 23:19



1)  What singer had a 1992 hit with ‘I will Always Love You’? Jessica Rush

2)  Geography, which state in the US is the biggest by area? Alaska

3)  TV, who was the actress who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street for 34 years. Liz Dawn

4)  Film, which actor played the role of Han Solo in the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy of films? Harrison ford

5)  What was Elvis Presley’s middle name? Aaron

6)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff are ‘Porcini’? pork sausages

7)  Science, which planet in our solar system is known as ‘The Blue Planet’? Earth

8 )  'The ultimate driving machine' is an advertising slogan for which make of car? ??????/

9)  Sport, which Championship football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’? Man City

10)  History, in which battle was Nelson killed? Trafalgar

11)  The song ‘I Don't Know How To Love Him’ comes from what musical show? ????

12)  What Biblical event does Maundy Thursday celebrate? Jesus washing feet

13)  Literature, first published in 1814, who wrote the classic novel ’Mansfield Park’? ??????????//

14)  What weapon would you associate with Damocles? Sword

15)  Film, in the 1995 film ‘The Bridges of Madison County’, which actress starred alongside Clint Eastwood? BLOODY HELL

16)  TV, which actor played Norman ‘Cleggy’ Clegg’ in ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and was the voice of Wallace in ‘Wallace and Gromit’? Peter Salis

17)  Who had a 1971 hit with ‘American Pie’? Don Maclean (sp)

18)  Science, what ‘M’ is the name given to the molten rock beneath the surface
of the earth? Magma

19)  “The Lass that Loved a Sailor” is the subtitle of which Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera? HMS Pinafore

20)  History, first issued in 1840, what was the name of the first British postage stamp? Penny Black

21)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff is Penne? Bread

22)  Geography, Rabat is the capital city of which North African country? Turkey

23)  Literature, who wrote the 2003 blockbuster novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’? Dan ????

24)  In which UK city was ‘R.M.S Titanic’ built in?, an clew, it was built by Harland and Wolff. Belfast

25)  ♪♫Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
          Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here♪♫

From what Beatles song are those the opening lines? ??????????????


ART BONUS QUESTIONS


BQ1)  Who painted the most famous painting in the world, ‘The Mona Lisa’ or ‘La Gioconda’? Leonardo D V

BQ2)  What large metal artwork situated in North East England did Antony Gormley design? Angel Of The North

BQ3)  Which French sculptor produced the 1882 marble work ‘The Kiss’? Rodin

BQ4)  Which artist of the ‘Young British Artists’ (YBA’s) of the 1990’s, became famous for a series of artworks in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow, are preserved in formaldehyde? Damian Hurst

BQ5)  Finished in 1821, who painted one of the most recognisable English paintings ‘The Haywain’? John Constable

STINKER)  In 1885, after being sentenced to death by hanging, how did John ‘Babacombe’ Lee survive three attempts by the hangman? Swallowed a rolled up magazine

TRICKY)  The inhabitants of which remote island group in the South Atlantic were evacuated to Britain in 1961 after a volcanic eruption? ????????????


Thanks again Ray.


Brain playing silly buggers. About to sup some slutch to mend it.
avatar
Hieronymous
Posts : 6037
Join date : 2013-12-05
Location : The front of beyond

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 08:02
Bon matin mon Capitaine, made sure I clicked on the right button this time.

1. Rick Astley?


2. Florida?


3. Liz Dawn


4. Harrison Ford


5. Aaron


6. Bacon?


7. Venus


8. Lotus?


9. Sunderland (or is it Middlesborough?)


10. Trafalgar


11. Jesus Christ Superstar


12. ?


13. Jane Austen


14. A sword hanging by a thread


15. ?


16. Peter Sallis


17. Don McClean


18. Magma


19. HMS Pinafore?


20. Penny Black


21. Bread?


22. Algeria


23. ?


24. Belfast


25. Damn!!



BQ1. Leonardo da Vinci


BQ2. Angel of the North


BQ3. Rodin


BQ4. ?


BQ5. Constable


STINKER: I now wish I'd finished listening to it!


TRICKY: ?
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 09:45
@Corky Ringspot wrote:


1)  What singer had a 1992 hit with ‘I will Always Love You’?   Jessica Rush

2)  Geography, which state in the US is the biggest by area?     Alaska

3)  TV, who was the actress who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street for 34 years.  Liz Dawn

4)  Film, which actor played the role of Han Solo in the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy of films?    Harrison ford

5)  What was Elvis Presley’s middle name?   Aaron

6)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff are ‘Porcini’?  pork sausages

7)  Science, which planet in our solar system is known as ‘The Blue Planet’?  Earth

8 )  'The ultimate driving machine' is an advertising slogan for which make of car?  ??????/

9)  Sport, which Championship football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?  Man City

10)  History, in which battle was Nelson killed?     Trafalgar

11)  The song ‘I Don't Know How To Love Him’ comes from what musical show?  ????

12)  What Biblical event does Maundy Thursday celebrate?     Jesus washing feet

13)  Literature, first published in 1814, who wrote the classic novel ’Mansfield Park’? ??????????//

14)  What weapon would you associate with Damocles?    Sword

15)  Film, in the 1995 film ‘The Bridges of Madison County’, which actress starred alongside Clint Eastwood?  BLOODY HELL

16)  TV, which actor played Norman ‘Cleggy’ Clegg’ in ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and was the voice of Wallace in ‘Wallace and Gromit’?   Peter Salis

17)  Who had a 1971 hit with ‘American Pie’?  Don Maclean (sp)

18)  Science, what ‘M’ is the name given to the molten rock beneath the surface
of the earth?   Magma

19)  “The Lass that Loved a Sailor” is the subtitle of which Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera?  HMS Pinafore

20)  History, first issued in 1840, what was the name of the first British postage stamp?   Penny Black

21)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff is Penne?  Bread

22)  Geography, Rabat is the capital city of which North African country?  Turkey

23)  Literature, who wrote the 2003 blockbuster novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’?  Dan ????

24)  In which UK city was ‘R.M.S Titanic’ built in?, an clew, it was built by Harland and Wolff.   Belfast

25)  ♪♫Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
          Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here♪♫

From what Beatles song are those the opening lines?  ??????????????


ART BONUS QUESTIONS


BQ1)  Who painted the most famous painting in the world, ‘The Mona Lisa’ or ‘La Gioconda’?  Leonardo D V

BQ2)  What large metal artwork situated in North East England did Antony Gormley design?  Angel Of The North

BQ3)  Which French sculptor produced the 1882 marble work ‘The Kiss’?   Rodin

BQ4)  Which artist of the ‘Young British Artists’ (YBA’s) of the 1990’s, became famous for a series of artworks in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow, are preserved in formaldehyde?  Damian Hurst

BQ5)  Finished in 1821, who painted one of the most recognisable English paintings ‘The Haywain’?   John Constable

STINKER)  In 1885, after being sentenced to death by hanging, how did John ‘Babacombe’ Lee survive three attempts by the hangman?   Swallowed a rolled up magazine

TRICKY)  The inhabitants of which remote island group in the South Atlantic were evacuated to Britain in 1961 after a volcanic eruption?   ????????????


Thanks again Ray.


Brain playing silly buggers.  About to sup some slutch to mend it.

A very respectable 18 correct Mester C.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 09:52
@Hieronymous wrote:Bon matin mon Capitaine, made sure I clicked on the right button this time.

1. Rick Astley?


2. Florida?


3. Liz Dawn


4. Harrison  Ford


5. Aaron


6. Bacon?


7. Venus


8. Lotus?


9. Sunderland (or is it Middlesborough?)


10. Trafalgar


11. Jesus Christ Superstar


12. ?


13. Jane Austen


14. A sword hanging by a thread


15. ?


16. Peter Sallis


17. Don McClean


18. Magma


19. HMS Pinafore?


20. Penny Black


21. Bread?


22. Algeria


23. ?


24. Belfast


25. Damn!!



BQ1. Leonardo da Vinci


BQ2. Angel of the North


BQ3. Rodin


BQ4. ?


BQ5. Constable


STINKER: I now wish I'd finished listening to it!


TRICKY: ?


An excellent 18 correct mon ami, well done
avatar
Gassey
Posts : 1815
Join date : 2016-10-18
Age : 65
Location : Pemberton

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 09:53
@raymyjamie wrote:A very Good Evening to all you Rejects.
A warm welcome awaits you in the Reject’s Bar.
Gerrapintin.
Get settled.
Let’s have a beltin’ bash.

NSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

GREETINGS FROM BLACKPOOL RAY ITS ABSOLUTELY
BALTIC HERE BUT A GOOD TIME IS BEING HAD BY ALL
THANKS FOR HOLDING T‘QUIZ OVER MON AMI


1)  What singer had a 1992 hit with ‘I will Always Love You’? WHITNEY HOUSTON

2)  Geography, which state in the US is the biggest by area? ALASKA

3)  TV, who was the actress who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street for 34 years. LIZ DAWN

4)  Film, which actor played the role of Han Solo in the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy of films? HARRISON FORD

5)  What was Elvis Presley’s middle name? AARON

6)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff are ‘Porcini’? PASTA

7)  Science, which planet in our solar system is known as ‘The Blue Planet’? VENUS

8 )  'The ultimate driving machine' is an advertising slogan for which make of car? MERCEDES

9)  Sport, which Championship football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’? SUNDERLAND

10)  History, in which battle was Nelson killed? TRAFALGAR

11)  The song ‘I Don't Know How To Love Him’ comes from what musical show? JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

12)  What Biblical event does Maundy Thursday celebrate? THE LAST SUPPER

13)  Literature, first published in 1814, who wrote the classic novel ’Mansfield Park’?

14)  What weapon would you associate with Damocles? SWORD

15)  Film, in the 1995 film ‘The Bridges of Madison County’, which actress starred alongside Clint Eastwood? MERYL STREEP

16)  TV, which actor played Norman ‘Cleggy’ Clegg’ in ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and was the voice of Wallace in ‘Wallace and Gromit’?
PETER SALLIS
17)  Who had a 1971 hit with ‘American Pie’? DON MCLEAN

18)  Science, what ‘M’ is the name given to the molten rock beneath the surface
of the earth?

19)  “The Lass that Loved a Sailor” is the subtitle of which Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera?PIRATES OF PENZANCE

20)  History, first issued in 1840, what was the name of the first British postage stamp? PENNY BLACK

21)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff is Penne? PASTA

22)  Geography, Rabat is the capital city of which North African country? MOROCCO

23)  Literature, who wrote the 2003 blockbuster novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’?

24)  In which UK city was ‘R.M.S Titanic’ built in?, an clew, it was built by Harland and Wolff. BELFAST

25)  ♪♫Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
          Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here♪♫

From what Beatles song are those the opening lines?
HERE COMES THE SUN

ART BONUS QUESTIONS


BQ1)  Who painted the most famous painting in the world, ‘The Mona Lisa’ or ‘La Gioconda’? LEONARDO CA VINCI

BQ2)  What large metal artwork situated in North East England did Antony Gormley design? ANGEL OF THE NORTH

BQ3)  Which French sculptor produced the 1882 marble work ‘The Kiss’? RODIN

BQ4)  Which artist of the ‘Young British Artists’ (YBA’s) of the 1990’s, became famous for a series of artworks in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow, are preserved in formaldehyde?
TRACY ENNIN
BQ5)  Finished in 1821, who painted one of the most recognisable English paintings ‘The Haywain’? CONSTABLE

STINKER)  In 1885, after being sentenced to death by hanging, how did John ‘Babacombe’ Lee survive three attempts by the hangman?
DODGY TRAP DOOR WHEN THE PADRE STOOD ON IT
TRICKY)  The inhabitants of which remote island group in the South Atlantic were evacuated to Britain in 1961 after a volcanic eruption?
marieM
Posts : 809
Join date : 2013-12-10

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 09:59
1. Jennifer Rush
2. Alaska
3. Liz Dawn
5. Aaron
9. Sunderland
10. Trafalgar
14. Sword
16. Peter Sallis
17. Don McLean
20. Penny Black
21. Pasta
23. Dan Brown
24. Belfast

bbq1 Leonardo De Vinci
2. Angel of the North
3, Rodin
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:01
"rain playing silly buggers. About to sup some slutch to mend it."

I like that LOL

You were a little late to mark.last night

Hope you understand that I can't sit behind my laptop from 8 o'clock

till say midnight waiting for folk to post, but everybody ultimately will get marked.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:07
@Gassey wrote:
@raymyjamie wrote:A very Good Evening to all you Rejects.
A warm welcome awaits you in the Reject’s Bar.
Gerrapintin.
Get settled.
Let’s have a beltin’ bash.

NSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

GREETINGS FROM BLACKPOOL RAY ITS ABSOLUTELY
BALTIC HERE BUT A GOOD TIME IS BEING HAD BY ALL
THANKS FOR HOLDING T‘QUIZ OVER MON AMI


1)  What singer had a 1992 hit with ‘I will Always Love You’?  WHITNEY HOUSTON

2)  Geography, which state in the US is the biggest by area?  ALASKA

3)  TV, who was the actress who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street for 34 years.  LIZ DAWN

4)  Film, which actor played the role of Han Solo in the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy of films?  HARRISON FORD

5)  What was Elvis Presley’s middle name?  AARON

6)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff are ‘Porcini’?  PASTA

7)  Science, which planet in our solar system is known as ‘The Blue Planet’?  VENUS

8 )  'The ultimate driving machine' is an advertising slogan for which make of car?  MERCEDES

9)  Sport, which Championship football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?  SUNDERLAND

10)  History, in which battle was Nelson killed?  TRAFALGAR

11)  The song ‘I Don't Know How To Love Him’ comes from what musical show?  JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

12)  What Biblical event does Maundy Thursday celebrate? THE LAST SUPPER

13)  Literature, first published in 1814, who wrote the classic novel ’Mansfield Park’?

14)  What weapon would you associate with Damocles?  SWORD

15)  Film, in the 1995 film ‘The Bridges of Madison County’, which actress starred alongside Clint Eastwood?  MERYL STREEP

16)  TV, which actor played Norman ‘Cleggy’ Clegg’ in ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and was the voice of Wallace in ‘Wallace and Gromit’?
PETER SALLIS
17)  Who had a 1971 hit with ‘American Pie’?  DON MCLEAN

18)  Science, what ‘M’ is the name given to the molten rock beneath the surface
of the earth?

19)  “The Lass that Loved a Sailor” is the subtitle of which Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera?PIRATES OF PENZANCE

20)  History, first issued in 1840, what was the name of the first British postage stamp?  PENNY BLACK

21)  Food and drink, what type of foodstuff is Penne?  PASTA

22)  Geography, Rabat is the capital city of which North African country?  MOROCCO

23)  Literature, who wrote the 2003 blockbuster novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’?

24)  In which UK city was ‘R.M.S Titanic’ built in?, an clew, it was built by Harland and Wolff.  BELFAST

25)  ♪♫Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
          Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here♪♫

From what Beatles song are those the opening lines?
HERE COMES THE SUN

ART BONUS QUESTIONS


BQ1)  Who painted the most famous painting in the world, ‘The Mona Lisa’ or ‘La Gioconda’?  LEONARDO CA VINCI

BQ2)  What large metal artwork situated in North East England did Antony Gormley design?  ANGEL OF THE NORTH

BQ3)  Which French sculptor produced the 1882 marble work ‘The Kiss’?  RODIN

BQ4)  Which artist of the ‘Young British Artists’ (YBA’s) of the 1990’s, became famous for a series of artworks in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow, are preserved in formaldehyde?
TRACY ENNIN
BQ5)  Finished in 1821, who painted one of the most recognisable English paintings ‘The Haywain’?  CONSTABLE

STINKER)  In 1885, after being sentenced to death by hanging, how did John ‘Babacombe’ Lee survive three attempts by the hangman?
DODGY TRAP DOOR WHEN THE PADRE STOOD ON IT
TRICKY)  The inhabitants of which remote island group in the South Atlantic were evacuated to Britain in 1961 after a volcanic eruption?

A very Good Morning Gassey.

A really excellent score of 23 correct, very well done.

Last night's ale has not impaired your cognitive functions LOL Laughing
marieM
Posts : 809
Join date : 2013-12-10

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:08
Thanks Ray for your hard work. I couldn't make it last night.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:10
@marieM wrote:1. Jennifer Rush
2. Alaska
3. Liz Dawn
5. Aaron
9. Sunderland
10. Trafalgar
14. Sword
16. Peter Sallis
17. Don McLean
20. Penny Black
21. Pasta
23. Dan Brown
24. Belfast

bbq1 Leonardo De Vinci  
      2. Angel of the North
      3, Rodin

Good morning Marie.

A really excellent 15 correct, well done you.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:21
Very well done to all the quizzers.

Here are the answers:-


WR Friday Night Pub Quiz Answers 9-2-18


1) What singer had a 1992 hit with ‘I will Always Love You’?
Whitney Houston

2) Geography, which state in the US is the biggest by area?
Alaska

3) TV, who was the actress who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street for 34 years.
Liz Dawn

4) Which actor played the role of Han Solo in the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy of films?
Harrison Ford

5) What was Elvis Presley’s middle name?
Aaron

6) Food and drink, what type of foodstuff are ‘Porcini’?
Mushrooms

7) Science, which planet in our solar system is known as ‘The Blue Planet’?
Earth

8 ) 'The ultimate driving machine' is an advertising slogan for which make of car?
BMW

9) Sport, which Championship football club’s home ground is ‘The Stadium of Light’?
Sunderland

10) History, in which battle was Nelson killed?
Battle of Trafalgar

11) The song ‘I Don't Know How To Love Him’ comes from what musical show?
Jesus Christ Superstar

12) What Biblical event does Maundy Thursday celebrate?
The Last Supper

13) Literature, first published in 1814, who wrote the classic novel ’Mansfield Park’?
Jane Austen

14) What weapon would you associate with Damocles?
Sword

15) Film, in the 1995 film ‘The Bridges of Madison County’, which actress starred alongside Clint Eastwood?
Meryl Streep

16) TV, which actor played Norman ‘Cleggy’ Clegg’ in ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and was the voice of Wallace in ‘Wallace and Gromit’?
Peter Sallis

17) Who had a 1971 hit with ‘American Pie’?
Don McLean

18) Science, what ‘M’ is the name given to the molten rock beneath the surface
of the earth?
Magma

19) “The Lass that Loved a Sailor” is the subtitle of which Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera?
HMS Pinafore

20) History, first issued in 1840, what was the name of the first British postage stamp?
Penny Black

21) Food and drink, what type of foodstuff is Penne?
Pasta

22) Geography, Rabat is the capital city of which North African country?
Morocco

23) Literature, who wrote the 2003 blockbuster novel ‘The Da Vinci Code’?
Dan Brown

24) In which UK city was ‘R.M.S Titanic’ built? an clew, it was built by Harland and Wolff.
Belfast

25) ♪♫Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here♪♫

From what Beatles song are those the opening lines?
Here Comes the Sun


ART BONUS QUESTIONS


BQ1) Who painted the most famous painting in the world, ‘The Mona Lisa’ or ‘La Gioconda’?
Leonardo da Vinci

BQ2) What large metal artwork situated in North East England did Antony Gormley design?
The Angel of the North

BQ3) Which French sculptor produced the 1882 marble work ‘The Kiss’?
Auguste Rodin

BQ4) Which artist of the ‘Young British Artists’ (YBA’s) of the 1990’s, became famous for a series of artworks in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow, are preserved in formaldehyde?
Damian Hirst

BQ5) Finished in 1821, who painted one of the most recognisable English paintings ‘The Haywain’?
John Constable

STINKER) In 1885, after being sentenced to death by hanging, how did John ‘Babacombe’ Lee survive three attempts by the hangman?
The trapdoor failed to open, he became known as ‘The man they could not hang’

TRICKY) The inhabitants of which remote island group in the South Atlantic were evacuated to Britain in 1961 after a volcanic eruption?
Tristan da Cunha
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 10:23
@marieM wrote:Thanks Ray for your hard work.  I couldn't make it last night.

Thank you Marie, well done you.

Better late than never.
avatar
Corky Ringspot
Posts : 52545
Join date : 2013-12-04
Location : Up a nick in Russia

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 12:21
@raymyjamie wrote:"rain playing silly buggers. About to sup some slutch to mend it."

I like that LOL

You were a little late to mark.last night

Hope you understand that I can't sit behind my laptop from 8 o'clock

till say midnight waiting for folk to post, but everybody ultimately will get marked.


No worries at all on my part, Ray.


I wouldn't mind if they weren't marked. The pleasure is in doing the quiz and kicking self immediately after when I scroll through and see who knew better than me anyway. Very Happy


And, once I've made an attempt, I sometimes google anyway to see the ones I didn't know. All good fun.


And most appreciated.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:12
Cheers Corky.

I enjoy doing the quizzes, and I get to learn stuff as well.

I didn't realise till this week that Maundy Thursday was a celebration of The Last Supper,

so there's knowledge.
avatar
Corky Ringspot
Posts : 52545
Join date : 2013-12-04
Location : Up a nick in Russia

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:35
I assumed it was celebrating an act of humility of sorts, Ray. What with the sovereign handing out Maundy Money. Hence my guess at the foot washing. Very Happy

I say guess, I should really call it an EDUCATED guess.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:42
I'm sure our 90 odd year old 'Her Maj' doesn't wash feet anymore LOL,

perhaps a Royal lackie does it.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:43
The STINKER question I knew all about.

John Henry George Lee (1864 – c. 19 March 1945), better known as John Babbacombe Lee, ' The man they could not hang'.

There is a brilliant 'concept album' by Fairport Convention, which tells the story in music and song.
I have put some of the album tracks on the Music Board.

It is widely accepted that John Lee did not kill Miss Emma Anne Whitehead Keyse.
She was his employer, her body was found stabbed and partly burned at her home.
He was in residence at the time and was the obvious suspect, but he did raise the alarm when her body was found.
In Court nobody could be found to defend him and he was sentenced to death by hanging.
It is thought that he took the wrap for somebody else, and maybe the hangman was 'nobbled' so the trapdoor wouldn't work.
He was given a life sentence
Lee continued to petition successive Home Secretaries and was finally released in 1907.
avatar
jo anne
Posts : 3103
Join date : 2015-06-04

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:48
@Corky Ringspot wrote:with the sovereign handing out Maundy Money. Hence my guess at the foot washing. Very Happy
 

But why would alms make you think of feet, Corky? Cool

It'll be a duty of the royal footmen, Ray Smile
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:51
Love the puns Jo Anne

Footnote, keep 'em coming.
avatar
Corky Ringspot
Posts : 52545
Join date : 2013-12-04
Location : Up a nick in Russia

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:52
First one to mention the Groom Of The Stool will get a strongly worded post from Ray.





IN GREEN INK
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13866
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

on Sat Feb 10 2018, 13:55
LOL, indeed Mester C.

........................................or the Royal wee!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored content

Re: WR Friday Night Pub Quiz 9-2-18

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum