Go down
Admin
Admin

Steven Shepherd

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 08:50

Malcolm S Ryding
15 hrs
It's now over 50 years since Ince schoolboy Steven Shepherd disappeared after a visit to the Court Cinema in Wigan and was found weeks later in a Newburgh ditch.
But the 11 year old's death is still being investigated by writer Richard Andrews.
Richard from the Kent Youth Theatre, says he became interested in the life and death of Steven after reading a book (Bullycide - Death at Playtime) dealing with the tragedy.
He told me the story was heart-wrenching and the theatre group had dramatised it for the stage.
He has now written a film script and feels that quite a few questions about Steven’s disappearance remain to be answered. Once he has finished the script, Richard wants to make the film in and around Wigan.
Richard told me: “So many questions remain unanswered. It is known that the Steven went to a local cinema before his journey to Newburgh where he was found close to a local strawberry farm."
To help his research Richard is hoping to speak to anyone from Steven's family (particularly sister Christine) and whoever remembers Steven, particularly Stanley Holland who played Steven's 'double' in a photofit.
Richard can be contacted at richard@kentyouththeatre.co.uk if you can help.
Joseph

Re: Steven Shepherd

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 10:58
A very sad and scary time around our way when he went missing. I get that funny stomach churn when I see his name or hear it mentioned, I knew this lad and his family and yet remembering him still, after all these years scares me a tad. If ever there was such an easy target for the ever present bullies of the area at that time he was just that. Not sure if these bullies were ever mentioned or questioned at all at the time. Sad time because they couldn't find out how he had died due to decomposition. God Bless him.

Sad

A Better Detailed Report
maureen

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 11:14
It was only last week I read about him in Margery Jolleys ( Wigan medium) book, owd Dave used to work with the little lads Mum.God love him.
Joseph

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 11:28
Margery was his Auntie if I remember right, she worked at Whelley Hospital.

I have this book too.
Mac

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 11:34
Hope Richard makes the film and memories get jogged so the filth that murdered the lad get to spend the rest of their lives in prison.

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 11:52
That's the question Mac, was he murdered? I'm not sure that he did walk to those fields on his own but I just don't know. It's hard to think back on those times now without having this very sad feeling I have typing this.
maureen

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 12:46
Yes Joseph,she was on nights at Whelley. One night I was ready for home,she came into the ward,I didn't know her personally,and for something to say,I remarked about the colour of the flowers on the table, and told her I'd taken some exactly the same to my Dads grave that morning,she asked why I'd been to my Dads grave,I told her it was his birthday ..she asked again so I repeated it..then she told me he isn't in his grave,that he was standing next to me and described him down to a T...she predicted quite a few things with Jack the Porter too.
Mac

on Sun Aug 12 2018, 14:40
Maybe not, Joseph, but for a lad to walk nearly 10 miles at night just to revisit a strawberry picking field he once enjoyed seems a bit dubious.

"Steven had been seen talking to a man in his early 20s – the last time he was seen."

Again, could be harmless coincidence....

Bullied.

on Mon Aug 13 2018, 11:10
I've just been parked outside his house No 19 (long gone) but the cobbles on the road are still there.Stephen's Grandma used to sit on one of those little stools with a woven seat outside the house and after he died she would stop folk and ask if they remembered him. I could almost smell the pickle works as I sat and remembered him and his family. Another memory of that time came to me, there used to be a Bobby that crossed us the road outside the Squirrel pub, big bugger he was but I can't remember his name, anyroad up he told my brother that there was almost nothing in Stephen's coffin because hardly anything was recovered when they found him.

I prayed that he was now in a happier place.
Douglas

on Sun Aug 19 2018, 11:26
Bullies were everywhere in Ince at that time. Whether at school or on Ince park or just playing in the streets.
There always seemed to be older, bigger lads wanting your ball or making you get off the swings or taking your bottle of water.
And if you did try and argue or resist you just got a thump. Stephen, due to his build and appearance was like a magnet for the bullies.
I hope Stan Holland can be traced and maybe give details of the ones that hurt Stephen.
Admin
Admin

on Sun Aug 19 2018, 11:32
I know the subject is close to your heart Douglas. Thanks for posting
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum