Share
Go down
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:00
A very Good Evening to the Rejects crossworders.
Welcome to our Wednesday wedge of wonderful wordage.

GOOD LUCK

WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 14-9-18

1)  British sailors in American vessels.  (4)   _ _ _ _
An easy one to start us off.
The 2 letter abbreviation for the Royal Navy inside the 2 letter abbreviation for American.
Vessels in this case is containers.
   

2)  Goalie not prepared to act independently.  (2, 2, 5)   _ _      _ _      _ _ _ _ _
An anagram (prepared) of GOALIE NOT.


3)  Tonic going backwards and forwards.  (7)   R _ V _ _ _ R
Backwards and forwards in this case means a palindrome.
 

4)  Leader of pack with lots of dogs.   (7   P O _ _ _ _ S
The first letter of PACK, followed by an informal name for LOTS, as in MANY.
   

5)  Comprehend six feet.   (6)   F _ _ _ _ _...
Can you suss it?
   

6)  Europeans residing in bigger mansions. (7)   _ _ _ _ _ _ _  
In consecutive letters in the clue.


7)  Remote crewmen near Egypt’s borders.   (7)   H _ _ _ _ _ _
A plural word for a ship’s crew, as in on deck, followed by the first and last of EGYPT .
(borders).
REMOTE in this case is electronic.
 

8 )  Reflecting, not Henry VIII  (8 )   T _ _ _ _ _ _ G
Reflecting in this case means PONDERING.
Can you suss it?
     

9)  Does this take the boredom out of saving?  (8 )   I _ _ _ _ _ _ _
What you might get from your savings.
   

10)  Champs first painful move in important match.  (3, 5)   _ _ _        _ _ _ _ _
A final anagram (move) of PAINFUL, and first letter of CHAMPS.


Last edited by raymyjamie on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:58; edited 2 times in total
avatar
maureen
Posts : 2875
Join date : 2014-07-28
Location : Wigan

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:10
1 Urns
3 Reviver
4Poodles
5 Fathom
6 Germans
7 Handset
8 Thinking
9 Interest
10 Cup final
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:18
@maureen wrote:1 Urns
3 Reviver
4Poodles
5 Fathom
6 Germans
7 Handset
8 Thinking
9 Interest
10 Cup final

A very Good Evening to the birthday Girl BD BD BD

Blimey Mo, you get quicker each week !!!!!

What a brilliant bit of Xwording, well done.
avatar
Gassey
Posts : 1734
Join date : 2016-10-18
Age : 65
Location : Pemberton

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:19
@raymyjamie wrote:A very Good Evening to the Rejects crossworders.
Welcome to our Wednesday wedge of wonderful wordage.

GOOD LUCK

WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 5-9-18

1)  British sailors in American vessels.  (4)   URNS
An easy one to start us off.
The 2 letter abbreviation for the Royal Navy inside the 2 letter abbreviation for American.
Vessels in this case is containers.
   

2)  Goalie not prepared to act independently.  (2, 2, 5) GO IT ALONE
An anagram (prepared) of GOALIE NOT.


3)  Tonic going backwards and forwards.  (7)   REVIVER


Backwards and forwards in this case means a palindrome.
 

4)  Leader of pack with lots of dogs.   (7   POODLES

The first letter of PACK, followed by an informal name for LOTS, as in MANY.
   

5)  Comprehend six feet.   (6)   FATHOM
Can you suss it?
   

6)  Europeans residing in bigger mansions. (7)  GERMAN
In consecutive letters in the clue.


7)  Remote crewmen near Egypt’s borders.   (7)   HANDSET
A plural word for a ship’s crew, as in on deck, followed by the first and last of EGYPT
(borders).
REMOTE in this case is electronic.
 

8 )  Reflecting, not Henry VIII  (8 )   THINKING
Reflecting in this case means PONDERING.
Can you suss it?
     

9)  Does this take the boredom out of saving?  (8 )   INTEREST
What you might get from your savings.
   

10)  Champs first painful move in important match.  (3, 5) CUP FINAL
A final anagram (move) of PAINFUL, and first letter of CHAMPS.
avatar
jo anne
Posts : 2931
Join date : 2015-06-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:24
Evening, Ray Smile

1) urns
2) Go it alone
3) reviver
4) poodles
5) Comprehend six feet. (6) F _ _ _ _ _
Can you suss it?
6) Germans
7) handset
8 ) thinking
9) interest
10) cup final
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:24
@Gassey wrote:
@raymyjamie wrote:A very Good Evening to the Rejects crossworders.
Welcome to our Wednesday wedge of wonderful wordage.

GOOD LUCK

WR CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES 5-9-18

1)  British sailors in American vessels.  (4)   URNS
An easy one to start us off.
The 2 letter abbreviation for the Royal Navy inside the 2 letter abbreviation for American.
Vessels in this case is containers.
   

2)  Goalie not prepared to act independently.  (2, 2, 5) GO IT ALONE
An anagram (prepared) of GOALIE NOT.


3)  Tonic going backwards and forwards.  (7)   REVIVER


Backwards and forwards in this case means a palindrome.
 

4)  Leader of pack with lots of dogs.   (7   POODLES

The first letter of PACK, followed by an informal name for LOTS, as in MANY.
   

5)  Comprehend six feet.   (6)   FATHOM
Can you suss it?
   

6)  Europeans residing in bigger mansions. (7)  GERMANS
In consecutive letters in the clue.


7)  Remote crewmen near Egypt’s borders.   (7)   HANDSET
A plural word for a ship’s crew, as in on deck, followed by the first and last of EGYPT
(borders).
REMOTE in this case is electronic.
 

8 )  Reflecting, not Henry VIII  (8 )   THINKING
Reflecting in this case means PONDERING.
Can you suss it?
     

9)  Does this take the boredom out of saving?  (8 )   INTEREST
What you might get from your savings.
   

10)  Champs first painful move in important match.  (3, 5) CUP FINAL
A final anagram (move) of PAINFUL, and first letter of CHAMPS.

Evening Gassey.

Just brilliant crosswording, well done.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:27
@jo anne wrote:Evening, Ray Smile

1)  urns
2)  Go it alone
3)  reviver
4)  poodles
5)  Comprehend six feet.   (6)   F _ _ _ _ _
Can you suss it?
6) Germans
7)  handset
8 )  thinking
9)  interest
10)  cup final

Evening Jo Anne.

Absolutely fantastic Xwording, well done.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:30
Mrs A, have you posted your answers on my OP?

I've deleted the answers.
avatar
jo anne
Posts : 2931
Join date : 2015-06-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:40
Thanks, Ray Smile
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:41
@jo anne wrote:Thanks, Ray Smile

You're very welcome Jo Anne.

You played a blinder
avatar
maureen
Posts : 2875
Join date : 2014-07-28
Location : Wigan

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:44
Thanks again Ray for another belter,as I've said before,you never let us down.
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 20:49
Thanks very much Mo, you're very welcome.

I'll keep saying it, you're a brainbox

Very well played tonight
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 42868
Join date : 2013-12-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 21:37
Hmmm my answers all threee of them Embarassed seem to have disappeared scratch
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 21:51
@raymyjamie wrote:Mrs A, have you posted your answers on my OP?

I've deleted the answers.

You put your answers on my OP, so I deleted them in case someone

uses the copy function.

You got clue 5 = FATHOM, and clue 6 = Germans, both correct.
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 42868
Join date : 2013-12-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 21:54
Oh no... SOrry RMJ. I was as usual in a hurry. Embarassed
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 21:58
@Admin wrote:Hmmm my answers all threee of them Embarassed  seem to have disappeared scratch

Have you been suppin' my home brew!!!! LOL Embarassed Laughing
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 21:59
@Admin wrote:Oh no... SOrry  RMJ.  I was as usual in a hurry. Embarassed

LOL, I'll let you off, I know mid evening is a busy time for you.
avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts : 42868
Join date : 2013-12-04

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 22:00
Later Rmj. I have a nice bottle of Pino Grigio awaiting Embarassed Cant be having much though Dentist tomorrow Rolling Eyes
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 22:07
@Admin wrote:Later Rmj.  I have a nice bottle of Pino Grigio awaiting Embarassed  Cant be having much though Dentist tomorrow Rolling Eyes

Sounds good that Mrs A


I was going to have a drink free night, but after doing the Cryptics,

doing the football manager anagrams and. working on Friday's quiz

I'm a little wired up, so a glass or several of Merlot is in order.
avatar
Gassey
Posts : 1734
Join date : 2016-10-18
Age : 65
Location : Pemberton

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 22:43
Thanks for the crossword conundrums
Tonight Ray
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Wed Sep 12 2018, 22:45
Thaks a lot Gassey, you're very welcome.

You played brilliantly tonight
avatar
Hieronymous
Posts : 6010
Join date : 2013-12-05
Location : The front of beyond

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Thu Sep 13 2018, 09:23
1. Urns


2. Go it alone


3. Reviver


4. Poodles


5. Fathom


6. Germans


7. Handset


8. Thinking


9. Interest


10. Cup Final
marieM
Posts : 769
Join date : 2013-12-10

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Thu Sep 13 2018, 10:08
1. Urn
5, Fathom
8. Thinking
9. Interest
10. Cup Final

avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Thu Sep 13 2018, 13:07
@Hieronymous wrote:1. Urns


2. Go it alone


3. Reviver


4. Poodles


5. Fathom


6. Germans


7. Handset


8. Thinking


9. Interest


10. Cup Final

A really excellent effort mon ami
avatar
raymyjamie
Posts : 13653
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Howfen near the Hindley border

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

on Thu Sep 13 2018, 13:09
@marieM wrote:1. Urns  
5, Fathom
8. Thinking  
9. Interest  
10. Cup Final  


Very well done indeed Marie  

I've been at cardiac class this morning, hence the late marking.
Sponsored content

Re: WR Cryptic Crossword Clues 14-9-18

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum