Go down
raymyjamie

A letter from the past

on Sun Oct 07 2018, 19:07
I have had an interesting few days.

This is a story of long lost relatives and a letter from the past.

A week or so ago I got an e-mail from our daughter.
She is a keen family historian.
She goes on Ancesttry,co.uk and out of the blue she was contacted by a complete stranger, no relation.

He typed, “are you the granddaughter of (grandmother’s name supplied)”.
She typed back “yes”.
After a few exchanges, it turns out he was genuine and had in his possession a letter written by my mum.

It turns his dad had recently passed away and was a keen car booter.
Whilst clearing his house out, amongst other things, he found a letter written by my mum in May 1944, he reckons his father used to just pick random bundles of stuff up from car boot sales and this letter was amongst a load of old ephemera he’d found!
Where had it come from, how had it survived?

It was written to my mum’s aunt Betsy, who it turns out was my granddad’s sister, who I didn’t know existed, my granddad died when I was very young and my mum never spoke of her dad’s brothers and sisters.

In my mum’s letter she wrote about my dad, who she hadn’t seen for 5 months, he was serving in the army as a medic in the Royal Army Medical Corps, he had been suffering from impetigo and had been hospitalised for 7 weeks.
She also spoke of her friend Margaret who’s husband got killed in the war, who she was trying to comfort and support, they had a weeks holiday in Blackpool to help her recover.

Mrs RMJ is also a keen family historian and has delved deeper into my family.
It turns out that my granddad also had another sister Ethel and a brother Sam.
My mum also talked of being 31 years old and getting on, and would wait until the wars over before starting a family.
Mrs RMJ has now found all the children of above great aunts and uncle.

What I find amazing is seeing my mum’s handwriting, which I instantly recognised, and from a letter written unbelievably 74 years ago, which somehow had survived and resurfaced to find my long lost relatives and provided a brief snapshot of her early married life, and that a complete stranger had taken the time and trouble to research, investigate and track us down.
Admin
Admin

Re: A letter from the past

on Sun Oct 07 2018, 20:03
You and the family must be well pleased RMJ. What a lovely surprise. I also have some letters written by my dad to my mum towards the end of the second world war.
raymyjamie

on Sun Oct 07 2018, 20:09
Yes, well pleased Mrs A.

At the moment Mrs RMJ has only gone one generation down from my granddad,

but it stands to reason there will be another generation down from that, which will

be my generation, and will be second cousins I think.
Joseph

on Mon Oct 08 2018, 13:18
That's great, thanks for sharing, Ray.
raymyjamie

on Mon Oct 08 2018, 13:34
Thank you Mester Joseph.

We go to Hindley History Society tonight, the theme is 'bring something old and personal' and talk about it, so I

will be doing an extended version of my post, looking forward to sharing my story with the members.

Mac

on Mon Oct 08 2018, 15:43
What a brilliant find, and a jolly decent chap to get in touch.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum