Go down
weatherwax
weatherwax

Rabbit Rocks.

on Fri Feb 22 2019, 00:54
First topic message reminder :

The gentleman upstairs in our block of flats, always gives me his copy of Lancashire Life. Imagine how surprised I was when I opened the March edition, to find one of the main articles is about "Rabbit Rocks". I thought it may have been  somewhere other than Wigan, but the description of "Kirkless Nature Reserve, accessable from Belle Green Lane, in Ince in Makerfield" Does sort of have you looking for a Corky shaped picture on the page.  The article itself is quite interesting, Explaining that the Rabbit Rocks themselves are a feature of a reclaimed Iron and Steelworks, once the largest in Europe, and are huge cylindrical blocks of slag, formed at the bottom of furnaces. It goes on to describe a lot of the nature at the reserve, including Willow Tits, the UK's most endangered small bird.    Only a couple of pages, but a really good read. Very Happy Very Happy

Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Re: Rabbit Rocks.

on Sat Feb 23 2019, 18:07
And Pearsons flash was caused when there was a rupture in the canal bank, which emptied forming a big pond, which then never drained, so they called it Pearsons flash clown
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Sat Feb 23 2019, 18:09
Flash clown

Cadfael
Cadfael

on Sat Feb 23 2019, 18:12
@Sir Bob wrote:And Pearsons flash was caused when there was a rupture in the canal bank, which emptied forming a big pond, which then never drained, so they called it Pearsons flash clown

So I was told as well, but I bet The Tonk knows better. Very Happy
Cadfael
Cadfael

on Sat Feb 23 2019, 18:16
Pearson's Flash, Wigan, 17.10.14
In his introduction to “Wigan A Century Ago” (Landy, 1990) Bob Blakeman attributes the formation of Pearson's Flash to a serious breach in the canal bank that occurred near Moss Bridge on 6 April 1889. Presumably it is named after George Pearson who, in 1840, formed a company to acquire and operate a coal mine at Ince. Around 1854 he took a promising employee, Thomas Knowles, into partnership with him. A limited company -The Pearson and Knowles Coal and Iron Co- was set up in 1874 to take over the properties of the partnership which by this time included five collieries, Dallam Forge ironworks and the Warrington Wire Iron Co. A full history of the firm can be found at www.gracesguide.co.uk.

It is probably coincidence that another “Pearson's flash” is mentioned in one of the American Revolution poems by Philip Freneau (1752-1832): “By Pearson's flash he aimed hot balls; His mainmast totters – down it falls”. The “flash” in this instance was one of the 44 guns on the British ship, Serapis, commanded by Captain -later Sir- Richard Pearson. The poem commemorates the victory over the Serapis won by Captain John Paul Jones' ship, Le Bonne Homme Richard.

As on Scotman's, fishing here is in theory regulated by the Pearson & Knowles Angling Society but my understanding is that enforcement is at best irregular.
Joseph
Joseph

on Sat Feb 23 2019, 19:23
@Corky Ringspot wrote:
@Admin wrote:Would Mester joseph qualify  as an Ince sagamore corky?

Indeed.

His sort are carried shoulder height, up to the pinnacle on one of them doings the Pope used to ride on.   Sagamores tend to have gammy knees by the time they reach a certain age and it wouldn't do to see them struggle on the ascent.

Again with the knees! They are alright now...nearly.
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

on Sat Feb 23 2019, 19:25
^^^^

Glad to hear that, Mester.
jo anne
jo anne

on Sun Mar 10 2019, 14:47
@tonker wrote:"Wigan Flashes are the result of mining subsidence and other industrial processes. "

Load of rubbish! Rolling Eyes

The Carbon Landscape Partnership- Facebook
Little Jim
Little Jim

on Sun Mar 10 2019, 15:58
I switch the TV on about 7-45am this morning & Tony Robinson was on walking the canal, They filmed part of the rabbit rocks, first time i have seen them, i couldn,t imagine what they looked like , never seen them before. It looks like a nice area round by the locks, Must have a ride up one day to see it in person,
jo anne
jo anne

on Sun Mar 10 2019, 16:39
It’s a great place to explore, Little Jim

Tony speaks about Wigan Pier from 40:00, Wigan Flight from 42:00 & the Rabbit Rocks around 43:00.

raymyjamie
raymyjamie

on Sun Mar 10 2019, 19:01
As a youngster, the Rabbit Rocks were my playground growing up in Higher Ince,
Of course then, the area between the Rabbit Rocks and Rose Bridge was all slag heaps, right from the canal edge rising near vertically for probably 30 feet.
It is a credit to the council (or whoever) for landscaping and making the area the pleasant place is is to walk today.
Little Jim
Little Jim

on Sun Mar 10 2019, 19:53
Thanks a lot for the vidio Jo Anne
jo anne
jo anne

on Wed Mar 13 2019, 17:27
Bittern and Willow Tit ID Workshop & Walk, Fri 29th Mar, 1pm - 3pm

Booking Link - carbonlandscape.org.uk
Sponsored content