The Wigan flashes Empty Re: The Wigan flashes

on Wed Jul 03 2019, 18:23
Did you get bit by bugs Mr O Very Happy
tomplum
tomplum
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

on Wed Jul 03 2019, 18:55
they can't catch me and if they are in front they get splattered on me hat Very Happy
mache
mache

on Wed Jul 03 2019, 18:58
So you didn't disturb any wasps then, and they're quicker than a bloody jet Very Happy
broady
broady

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 00:17
oaplum,
Do you ever drive on the motorways? I didn't want to ask you on the other channel. We had Liaison Officers on every pipeline and motorway I worked on and they did excellent work sometimes to the detriment of the contractor. Of course they were in it for the money as was everyone else. I suspect we ALL live on land that was once some animals habitat ( Dinosaurs roamed Alberta back in the day) Airports, roads etc. were all nature reserves.
tomplum
tomplum

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 08:53
Yes Broady I drive on motorways, but we can't go on building on nature, One thing nature cannot do is create more land and, we are fast running out of it, When the grassland goes, its gone forever,
We have to change pace now and manage the roads more efficiently , get folks out of cars and educate them that, We are part of nature, not in charge of it,

I'm putting my soapbox away now and going out on this nice summers day and enjoying it, Part of the Wigan flashes is dying and will never come back,

The Wigan flashes Greens25
broady
broady

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 10:44
I can assure you I have driven around the UK much more than you and there is still plenty of land available. Maybe you are a NIMBY. When I lived in Abram my home was on land I used to play on. Enjoy your day.
broady
broady

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 15:54
Just googled “ what %age of land in the UK is built on including motorways etc” and a report in 2012 said 2.7%. The general consensus is less than 5%. Surprising figures eh?
tonker
tonker

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 17:31
I do a lot of flights over the UK and, looking down, you see nothing but agricultural land and golf courses!
Anyroadup, my flight’s just been called so I’ll be home at about 9 o’clock. I’m thinking of fish, chips and sloppy peas for my supper! 😀
tomplum
tomplum

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 18:42
@broady wrote:Just googled “ what %age of land in the UK is built on including motorways etc” and a report in 2012 said 2.7%. The general consensus is less than 5%. Surprising figures eh?

that is surprising indeed broady and brings to mind an old saying

figures can lie and liars can figure,

anyrode I did enjoy my day Broady , today i cycled along the Leeds Liverpool canal Leigh branch to where it meets the broadwater canal Very Happy Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 18:46
broady
broady

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 18:55
Oaplum,
I was brought up not far from the Dover at Abram so you probably went past the back of our house and the fields we wuz fotched up on.
tomplum
tomplum

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 20:14
I probably did, I did a video on it but not processed it yet, I'll post it soon,
erontquay
erontquay
Admin

on Wed Jul 10 2019, 21:12
broady
broady

on Thu Jul 11 2019, 05:46
I lived at the most three miles away from this bloody motorway route and never heard of the area. Get over it. I was on a pipeline from Mawdesley to Warrington in 2000 and the cost for the person looking for newts was astronomical. Total waste of time and money.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Thu Jul 11 2019, 12:52
@broady wrote:I lived at the most three miles away from this bloody motorway route and never heard of the area. Get over it.

broady

You remember this don't yoo ,, industrial desolation at its finest, where a Newt wouldn't have been seen dead in (or alive for that matter) because it was polluted, the canal was full of oil and diesel, dead dogs and cats, even a hardy rat, wouldn't survive crossing from one bank to the other ....

The Wigan flashes Bamfur10

Well that is it, that is the view from the Bamfurlong railway bridge,
over the canal, looking towards Wigan during the 1960s and that area from the railway bridge and up to where the old Westwood Power Station was located, is now known as the Greenheart of Wigan, the Wigan Flashes, Toms Kingdom, Toms Shangri la, Wigans Lost Horizon, Wigan answer as to where vast herds of Wildebeasts, can wander across the plains of the Serengeti, Wigans Kew Gardens, Toms Garden of Eden, the lungs of Wigan ,, akin to the Amazon rain forests ....

The slagheaps on the left were from Bamfurlong colliery and I remember the spoil being made up of mainly of red shale
tonker
tonker

on Thu Jul 11 2019, 15:15
@Sir Bob wrote: .... the Greenheart of Wigan, the Wigan Flashes, Toms Kingdom, Toms Shangri la, Wigans Lost Horizon, Wigan answer as to where vast herds of Wildebeasts, can wander across the plains of the Serengeti, Wigans Kew Gardens, Toms Garden of Eden, the lungs of Wigan ,, akin to the Amazon rain forests. ....

Ironically, none of it is in Wigan! Rolling Eyes
tomplum
tomplum

on Thu Jul 11 2019, 22:35
Sir Bob, the key you are missing is, mother nature, Man ruined the landscape for the price of Coal, then abandoned the land when it was polluted and worthless, mother nature came in and reclaimed it to make toms garden of Eden, Now man has seen another way of making money from transport and will ruin it again for greed, It will not matter in the long run, cos Mother nature will reclaim it again 100 or 200 years in the future when man has still not learned that, We should work with nature and respect it, We are all part of the jigsaw, Very Happy
jo anne
jo anne

on Fri Jul 12 2019, 10:51
The Golden Years Caravan is coming to Wigan Flashes on Tuesday 16th July, 11am - 5pm

The Wigan flashes Ad214e10

More info: www.artwithheart.org.uk
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Fri Jul 12 2019, 13:50
@tomplum wrote:Sir Bob, the key you are missing is, mother nature,  Man ruined the landscape for the price of Coal, then abandoned  the land when it was polluted and worthless, mother nature came in and reclaimed it to make toms garden of Eden, Now man has seen another way of making money from transport and will ruin it again for greed, It will not matter in the long run, cos Mother nature will reclaim it again 100 or 200 years in the future when man  has still not learned that,  We  should work with nature and respect it,  We are all part of the jigsaw, Very Happy

Oh it is marvellous how mother nature can reclaim what is rightfully hers and especially with a little help from the council, in removing the slag heaps etc

As to the new road though, I think that there as to be a compromise, in that in this world we need roads and those roads have to be built on land and so there as to be a trade off and common sense, in that when a new road is being planned, the effect that such a road will have on the environment must be investigated, and if possible when building anything, the brownfield sites should be chosen first, if it practicable to do so.

I still say that the new road is going across the end of the Wigan Flashes, even if it is going in between Pearsons Flash and that unknown one, which folk call Poolstock Flash and that fishing pond, off Helmsman Way, which is known as 'that fishing pond' off Helmsman Way clown

The old railway embankment like I have said many times was an eyesore and Tom, did yoo and Mr Magoo, object when filthy, dirty, smelly, smokey choo choo's were running along the top of that embankment, alongside the flashes ?

I think that the flashes could be developed further into a major leisure area for Wigan, by terraforming the landscape and making a vast lake, starting from Pearsons Flash and extending through the old gravel pits at Ince Moss and on to include Horrocks Flash and have the Wigan side for boating and have a marina there, connected by a lock to the canal and at the other Platt Bridge end, make that into a wetland to rival Marton Mere and where the Liverpool Line railway crosses the canal, build a new station there and call it 'Wigan Flashes' or 'Toms Folly'   which would be in between Wigan and Bryn.

It would only take money to make these things happen Smile
tomplum
tomplum

Yesterday at 16:21
@jo anne wrote:The Golden Years Caravan is coming to Wigan Flashes on Tuesday 16th July, 11am - 5pm

The Wigan flashes Ad214e10

More info: www.artwithheart.org.uk

I bumped into them today jo anne, nice people we had a banter and a cuppa, I'm buggered if i can figure the purpose of it though,  If I was planning to meet the older generation and get them out and about, I would not set up my caravan in a place  where only people who are already out and about would see it,  kinda ironic but its funded by the council so that explains it really, Oh and the lad their , Bob, is doing a course trying to get into plumbing, So I gave him my forum site were I might be able to help him,, plum Bob will be a good name for him if/when he makes it, anrode good luck to the lad,

anyway I enjoyed their company for half an hour,  Very Happy
tomplum
tomplum

Yesterday at 16:50
In answer to Sir Bobs post, building roads is a never ending industry, We do not NEED them we desire them to ease congestion, a better way to ease congestion , is to get the lazy ,fat, McDonald munchin' public out of cars and make them walk,run.cycle to work.skool and shops,
That will happen one day because the roads we have will gridlock, Management of the roads is the way forward, not building more, The Wigan flashes 709307421
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum