Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teme's Allotment Diary

+2
Ragbru
Temeluchus
6 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Teme's Allotment Diary Empty Teme's Allotment Diary

Sat Jan 31 2015, 14:11
Just to keep all my stuff in one place really, took an allotment on for the first time. Hadn't been used for a while, as you can see:

Teme's Allotment Diary HectwVu

The plot is around 31' x 18' at the widest, narrows slightly at one end, quite heavy soil, but nutrient rich, given the lovely weeds that had taken a liking to it. Rolling Eyes Also can be quite wet in parts, but will use that to my advantage (hopefully).

Then I dug it over by hand originally, after strimming it.

Teme's Allotment Diary KcA4NFF

Then, sowed a little bit of green manure before Christmas, and forgot about it until last weekend. Went up, and turned it over using my cheap (bargain!) tiller, which only needed new fuel lines and bulb to get it running correctly again, cost around £35 in total, including buying the fuel lines and bulb separately!

Teme's Allotment Diary Fr4TsxC

Will need going over again when it is a little drier, and turn it over again a bit deeper than that.

Plans are to grow green beans, cabbage, cauli, maybe potatoes, onions, shallots, and maybe a small plot of sweetcorn. Very Happy
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Teme's Allotment Diary Empty Re: Teme's Allotment Diary

Sat Jan 31 2015, 14:29
How do you get the time for all these activities Tem?

Am I mistaken: I thought I had picked up that you were studying Law?

I have known a number of Law Students, and each had said that although it was not the most challenging of academic disciplines, it did make such extensive demands upon them, in terms of the amount of reading required, as to leave them markedly 'time-poor'!
veg grower
veg grower

Sat Jan 31 2015, 14:41
Some folks grow beans with sweetcorn underplanted with pumpkins/squashes - 3 sisters I think it is called - they make use of the same water and nutrients.

Two good threads begun on here - this and Heiro's lawn thread - should be stickys!
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sat Jan 31 2015, 14:44
You are correct, Ragbru Very Happy

Currently on Wills, Trusts and Equity, which is the final 'big' block of study, then two free choice to complete. I also study Accountancy part time, (Level 3), but won't be going on to Level 4, as that is very time heavy.

Oh, I also work 9-5 Mon-Fri. Teme's Allotment Diary 709307421

The allotment was taken on when I had 'more' time. Now I have it, and have put the preparation in to get it viable, and with the shortage of decent (and cheap) ones, it would be a shame to give it up without having had any produce from it. The accountancy is evenings, I nip home after work, get changed, go straight there, so only getting home properly at around 10pm a couple of nights a week. I try to balance the accountancy around the law and work, as they are the number 1 and 2 priorities.

Luckily, my hours at work are somewhat fixed, and no real need to go in at weekends, though I am putting around an hour or so extra in most days, starting earlier and finishing later.

Having many interests certainly makes you better at managing your time - I'll put a few hours in at the allotment in the evenings during summer, when it's lighter and there's more to deal with. By then, I will have finished my accountancy stuff, so will have free evenings again Very Happy.

Not heard of that particular combo, veg - I have heard of pairing fast growing crops with slower ones, so you have had the quicker stuff whilst the longer stuff is establishing. Think radishes is one particular fast growing option, though can't remember the slow grower off the top of my head. Pumpkins and squashes would be wasted in our house, unfortunately. The only time we get pumpkin is for Hallowe'en.

Sat Jan 31 2015, 14:53
Well done you, I can't motivate myself to do such tasks.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:04
Thank you. Smile
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Sun Feb 01 2015, 14:31
yes Teme sterling work, I'm just starting to organize my garden now, times creeping up and the greenhouses are full of junk i've thrown in there whilst making my man cave, so now i need a shed, Crying or Very sad
I've just ordered one of fleabay, its good value I think £179 for a 6x4 metal shed with a free base and free delivery, I did't want another building on the garden as it takes up growing room and clutters the space but compromises have to be made,
let battle commence Very Happy
dickypoos
dickypoos

Sun Feb 01 2015, 16:05
TEM Teme's Allotment Diary 709307421 Teme's Allotment Diary 709307421 Teme's Allotment Diary 709307421 GOOD ON YOU .
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Feb 01 2015, 17:38
I know what you mean, Tom. I will be getting another shed in the garden shortly, to free some room up in the man cave, as even as big as it is, it's ended up full of allsorts!

I will be using some of the garden for growing, but as I am quite restricted, despite the size of it, I plumped for the allotment, as I can concentrate on purely growing there, rather than having to consider the dog, kids etc. If you like, I'll pass on the details of where my allotment is, and you can enquire as to whether or not there's any plots free (I think there were one or two when I asked, but not sure now, as I haven't seen anyone up there since before Christmas, and the plot next to mine looks like it's being cleared, as you can see).
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Sun Feb 01 2015, 17:53
I'm not sure I could handle an alotment Teme, much as i like gardening it can be hard work, maybe when i retire I might think about one then but its not on the cards yet, Mrs plum still needs help yet and she's not a very patient patient, everything needs doing NOW , silent
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Feb 01 2015, 17:59
Lol, no worries Tom. Sometimes I wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew, but then stubbornness kicks in over the work I've put in up to now. Teme's Allotment Diary 709307421

Pass on our regards to the good lady Very Happy
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Sun Feb 01 2015, 20:22
Good work, Tem, and hard work I imagine.

"Also can be quite wet in parts"

See my thread on 'Hydrophobic soil?'
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Feb 01 2015, 21:21
I had a brief scan earlier Hiero, but I went out to prune my apple tree. Will have another look at it, and see what I can absorb from it (see what I did there? Very Happy )
veg grower
veg grower

Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:46
Tomplum - you would do well to put your name on the waiting list and they will contact you when one becomes available - you don't have to take it - you can explain that it is for your retirement. Smile

Here in Tyldesley we have the biggest Allotment Association in the Borough, it has come onleaps and bounds since they organised a proper committee. There is a Community Garden etc and they have had some funding of some sort - its a proper outfit!

Tem - I kow what you mean about the companion planting - Radishes do great in between rows of other stuff that takes ages to mature, as do Salad Leaves, Baby Veg ie Kohl Rabi etc - space is precious.

For those with small gardens or plots and not much room, 'Square Foot Gardening' is really popular and opens your eyes up as to how much you can grow in a very small space - it eradicates the need for weeding, fertilising and digging etc and I am thinking of giving it a go on mine plot - have a look at this, its really interesting.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FxJimob84
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Thu Feb 12 2015, 18:01
All of my produce, and also my daffs and tulips, I grow densely using deep bed technique (John Seymour), on double spit dug ground.

I grow clover in the small remaining space, which tends to disappear as the plants grow.

Never gets tall enough to deprive my plants of sunlight.
suppresses weed growth.
All gets turned into the soil as a green manure, either when I judge it to be too close to plant stems, or when plants are lifted.

I used to have a very narrow dutch hoe. About 2 inches. It was ideal for this task, but it has walked.

Been unable to find a replacement. So if anyone knows who makes such .....
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum