Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !!

+3
Hieronymous
Ragbru
veg grower
7 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
veg grower
veg grower

Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !! Empty Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !!

Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:12
I have mine own allotment so nerrr! Laughing

Oh joy of joys, for the first time in about 15 years I have an allotment.  My brother asked me last week if I like to take over his plot and I practically ripped his hand off.  He took it on 2/3 years ago and I think he sees it more hard work than anything, but I see the endless possiblities, despite the shed raining in, needing a new roof and all the glass been blown out of the greenhouse LOL.  It really does need lots of hard work, but last year he got tons of scaffolding planks and built ten good raised beds so that will save me some digging.  He had only filled 3 of the beds so I need some good top soil/compost medium to fill the rest.

For sowing the next day or so I have Broad Beans 'The Sutton', Peas 'Meteor' and Shallot sets 'Red Sun' - the pea and bean varieties I have grown before and are left over from last year.  Never tried this breed of Shallot - so if anyone has tried them I'd love to know how you got on - only grown the 'Hative de whatever it was' before.  I have some Sturon and Stuttgarter Giant onion sets - only ever grown the latter before - won't be planting these for a few weeks yet though.

flower flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower

Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !! Empty Re: Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !!

Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:23
Yay! But I don't think violence was justified, your Brother acted out of kindness.
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:44
HAHA

Good luck with it VG.

Most envious.
veg grower
veg grower

Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:52
Ha ha - thanks guys! Very Happy

Ragbru - I have posted a link on Tem's thread re square foot gardening if you have a small space in your garden, oh heck, I am told there is 'nowt wrong wi repeats' so here it is again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FxJimob84
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Feb 16 2015, 07:42
Sown my Broad Beans 'The Sutton', Peas 'Meteor' and Shallots 'Red Sun'. Battling weeds - in particular Mares Tail, Brambles and Nettles - these are quite established in some areas. I have a small raised area were I can see teazels - I am keen to keep these as birds like them and I have some mixed wildflower seeds to sow - this will be an area to attract birds, bees and butterflies.

flower flower flower
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:08
I am reliably informed that Mares Tail is an aquatic weed so what you will have is Horse Tail. Very difficult to eradicate. I use glyphosate sachets dissolved in water then mix a little wallpaper paste in it so it sticks to the weeds. Since mine are largely on the flags I use a yard brush to apply it. A paint brush (wear gloves!!) may be a better bet depending on the situation.

They then tend to come up elsewhere so persistence is key.

As for bees, look up 'Operation Pollinator'.
dickypoos
dickypoos

Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:18
VG after I moved to Hereford , a great friend of mine had an allotment , it was just in Orrell , near Lamberhead school . Him and all his retired mates were always up there , we'd come up , I dropped the wife off at her dad's and I'd go up there with the kids we would be there for hours , gas ring , cup of tea . It was great , we lived in the country , BUT there is something about an allotment . I'm not a gardener , my dad was , but I do like looking at them . I shall follow all the "diaries". flower
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Mon Feb 16 2015, 13:10
good on you VG, I'll look forward to the seasons lessons, Very Happy
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Feb 16 2015, 18:37
Dickypoos, those allotments are still there, but private I believe. You can see them from the new AG school and the doctors on Bradshaw St.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Feb 16 2015, 18:53
My dad had his allotment there in the late 70s/80s. He used to breed budgies as well as grow his fruit veg and flowers.And he kept a few chickens He had a beltin little shed complete with a gas ring so he could make a brew or warm some soup as Dickypoos mentioned. He was always happiest on his allotment. The other allotment holders would all share their produce. They each grew something different, so there was always a good mix.flower
dickypoos
dickypoos

Wed Feb 18 2015, 11:01
My old mate , who has passed away, "left it", ( arranged for his nephew) to take over it . I've not been up since he died , but I have had orders , and apparently we are coming up to Wigan next week for a few days , ( normally we only come up for the day and travel back late on ). I will have time to visit the allotments , and other places we haven't seen in 30+years. Sorry V.G. for going off thread . flower
veg grower
veg grower

Wed Feb 18 2015, 14:13
Thats OK DP - I hope you enjoy your trip back to Wigan. Very Happy

Psyching myself up to get down to the plot, I have been aching since Sunday, my back, legs and arms are killing me. Shed roof and an early start on the weeds is the order of the day - may leave the shed roof.......

flower flower flower
veg grower
veg grower

Fri Feb 20 2015, 13:09
Still aching, had to have paracetamol yesterday and today, hate taking tablets. Rolling Eyes

Heiro - you are correct, it is Horsetail I checked in my gardening books. I think Tem or whoever it was mentioned on WW the difference once, but I had forgotten the correct terms - I think I argued at the time they were one and the same. Laughing

Are you a golfer BTW? I hadn't heard of 'Operation Pollinator' before - I have to admit to being a little sceptical with regard to Syngenta's claims.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/aug/04/a-swiss-pesticide-companys-plan-to-bring-back-the-bees
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Mar 08 2015, 06:17
Got lots done on the plot Fri & Sat, this is despite having a dodgy elbow - I haven't banged it or anything - it just aches like hell.  Fence between mine and next door's plot blew down last week but the chap from next door has seen to that thank heavens.  

I have a lot of daffodils coming through, some are already flowering and I have been clearing these areas in order to let them flourish.  Some are growing along a fence that had rotted so I pulled out the rotten planks as the trees and plants growing there have made a densely packed fence in themselves.  I am trying to decide what else to grow here - it is about a 25 ft stretch, with dappled sunlight - perhaps foxgloves would do well here.

Shallots are beginning to show, Peas and Beans are a little slow but it is early days.  Not sure about this pear tree - although established (poss 5/8 years old) it is looking a bit grey and forlorn - my brother says he has had fruit from it so I imagine it is alive.  I'm not one for chopping down trees so I am clearing the brambles growing around it and I am going to give it a water/feed.  Apparently it is one of the fatter varieties poss Doyenne du Comice - I have only ever grown Conference before and I am debating whether to buy a couple of these - always get great results from Conference.

Had a bonfire yesterday to get rid of the weeds and rotted wood, will do the same again today.  So much to do and I have lots of ideas - of course a lot will depend on the weather - they have forecast rain for this morning and sunshine this afternoon, Monday is set to rain, Tuesday is wall to wall sunshine then raining Wednesday and Thursday - on the rainy days I am going to clean mine shed and greenhouse at home. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

flower flower  flower  flower  flower  flower

Last edited by veg grower on Sun Mar 08 2015, 06:22; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Its whether, not weather nor wether! LOL)
dickypoos
dickypoos

Sun Mar 08 2015, 09:22
you'll have to post a few before and after photo's VG , ( when and if you get time ). flower
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:22
Yes DP - I meant to take my tablet with me - I'll post them as soon as I can - I haven't made any changes yet. Smile
dickypoos
dickypoos

Sun Mar 08 2015, 15:46
Wait till you have the difference to show ..it should be good. flower
veg grower
veg grower

Tue Mar 10 2015, 11:51
I have been filling the paths between my raised beds (about 20) with chipped pine tree - it smells delicious - still got a long way to go - only managed 4 barrowfuls on Sunday and my arms and back were killing me!Laughing   Weather set to be nice all day - so hope to get lots more done here. Taking my saw down too - there is an elderberry bush strangling/growing into a magnificent pine tree - so some of it will have to go.

My radishes are putting in an appearance but thats about it apart from daffodils and daisies.  I think I may have another bonfire - I love bonfires.Twisted Evil

flowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflower
veg grower
veg grower

Thu Mar 19 2015, 10:51
We have had more chippings delivered to the allotments so I will probably be filling the barrow with that again this afternoon.

Sown last of my onion sets - Stuttgarter Giant, Red Baron and Sturon. The pear tree is showing signs of life - the buds are beginning to unfurl, it is leaning - so I will need to address this. Honey bees are making the most of the catkins on my Hazelnut tree - a few plot-holders here keep bees. Daffodils are in flower, been clearing the stone flags of weeds and what have you - finding pathways I didn't know I had, raked and burnt all the dry leaves, grass and moss and put a nice big border around the Hazelnut tree about 10ft square, I am ordering some cow muck from the farm and will mulch the tree with some of this, will also put some muck in the bottom of my empty beds.

Had lots of bonfires - burning all my rubbish/prunings. Twisted Evil

Set to be a lovely day today, and ok through the weekend so make the most of it because it will rain on Monday... http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

flower flower flower flower flower flower

Fri Mar 20 2015, 20:16
Looking forward to reading your allotment diary Veg. Very Happy
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Mar 23 2015, 09:35
I have met my allotment neighbours - well those who immediately surround my plot.....

George is a Scottish chap and his plot is pretty ace, he won an award a year or so ago for best allotment. He has a couple of cabins (looks like a bloody holiday home) and a cool wooden Wendy House for the grandchildren, his wife has put curtains up and carpet down - though he says they won't go in it because they are scared of the spiders. Laughing He also lets a chap keep a few ducks on his plot because it is a double length plot and so has lots of room.

Next is Steve - the chap who put the fence up that blew down, his plot isn't so pretty but he has only just taken it on - so lots of tidying up for him to do - he has started to feed the birds though - so he is a good 'un.

Tracy keeps hens and ducks - she has quite a few - more than I would want to keep but they are lovely and she loves them to pieces. Thor likes hens and ducks and he doesn't bother them.

Sue and Michael have a large size plot, with a huge greenhouse that Michael constructed himself - he is an engineer - its like a massive conservatory. They have another large greenhouse that they grow cucumbers in, and some nice small beds with lovely soil. They have a pond with lots of frogspawn in and lots of established trees and shrubs and a lovely grassy area that Thor loves to run round in when he slips the fence. Sue has given me a knitting book with lots of instructions in how to knit dogs - every breed you can knit LOL.

Cockney Bill - is another nice fella, though not from round these parts LOL. Laughing

I have filled another pathway with pine bark - I can't stop treading on it coz it smells so good. At home in my greenhouse I have sown:

Broad beans - first lot Aquadulce got eaten by the mice.
Peas - Ambassador - my first sowing of Meteor also eaten by mice.
Leek - Lyon Prizetaker
Beetroot - Wodan
Spinach - Viking
Sweetcorn - Sparrow
Courgette - Sunbeam
Salad leaves, andother stuff I forget what.....

All my earlier sown stuff is growing good - melons, cucumbers, tomato, aubergine and sunflowers. Getting my parsnip bed ready today, oh and more bark for between the beds....

Wet and grey this morning chaps but don't despair - this afternoon is set to be glorious...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower

Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Mon Mar 23 2015, 09:46
Metcheck
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Mar 23 2015, 10:04
God that site is busy! Laughing
veg grower
veg grower

Thu Mar 26 2015, 11:06
Arms and back are killing me - been using the barrow to pick up the bark for between the beds, another 4 barrowfuls yesterday - and not finished yet - pine chippings smell gorgeous - really clears the airways LOL.  Had a right palaver removing all the tarpaulin my brother had put down to supress the weeds - about 8 sheets all 15 ft sq.  

A chap called James has some muck for me on his plot so I am going for that today (save waiting for the delivery from the farm) and then finishing off the beds for my parsnips and carrots - although the muck isn't for these - fresh muck makes the roots of carrots and parsnips fork.  I have given my Kew wild/bee seeds that I got free away to the allotments club here.

So much to do, hope the rain holds off this aft - looks like it is brightening up actually.  Have a nice day everyone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

flowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflowerflower
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:25
Metcheck
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum