Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !!

+3
Hieronymous
Ragbru
veg grower
7 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
veg grower
veg grower

Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !! - Page 2 Empty Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !!

Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:12
First topic message reminder :

I have mine own allotment so nerrr! Laughing

Oh joy of joys, for the first time in about 15 years I have an allotment.  My brother asked me last week if I like to take over his plot and I practically ripped his hand off.  He took it on 2/3 years ago and I think he sees it more hard work than anything, but I see the endless possiblities, despite the shed raining in, needing a new roof and all the glass been blown out of the greenhouse LOL.  It really does need lots of hard work, but last year he got tons of scaffolding planks and built ten good raised beds so that will save me some digging.  He had only filled 3 of the beds so I need some good top soil/compost medium to fill the rest.

For sowing the next day or so I have Broad Beans 'The Sutton', Peas 'Meteor' and Shallot sets 'Red Sun' - the pea and bean varieties I have grown before and are left over from last year.  Never tried this breed of Shallot - so if anyone has tried them I'd love to know how you got on - only grown the 'Hative de whatever it was' before.  I have some Sturon and Stuttgarter Giant onion sets - only ever grown the latter before - won't be planting these for a few weeks yet though.

flower flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower

veg grower
veg grower

Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !! - Page 2 Empty Re: Veg's Allotment Diary 2015 !!

Fri Mar 27 2015, 07:19
LOL. Just about got the hang of that. I hate sites with too many ads - it detracts from the real info. Laughing

Well, went to the plot but it was blowing a gale and couldn't get owt done, the wind was taking my breath away and there was no let up so came home. Noticed lots of damamge on the allotments - Tracy's chickens were being blown about and one of the shelters (a huge metal sheet) had blown onto the pathway leading to my plot. Shocked
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Fri Mar 27 2015, 18:04
Using firefox with adblocker I don't see any ads.
veg grower
veg grower

Sat Mar 28 2015, 09:10
Oh to be free of ads - I'm a slave to IE but they are finishing soon so will have to change!

Had a lovely afternoon on the plot yesterday, took up the last ofthe tarpaulin, digging over the beds - lovely soil but has been compressed by the tarpaulin, strangely easy enough to dig over though. Will put my muck in these empty beds and then fill with top soil or whatever I can get my hands on. So much to do, may not get much done the next few days - wet and windy weather is forecast, pitch black here now and pouring down. Shocked Laughing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

https://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=Wigan&locationID=56664&lat=53.5&lon=-2.6&findtype= Laughing

Met Check is at odds with BBC Weather somewhat - BBC says should be dry this aft.
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Apr 12 2015, 13:05
Been down to the allotment every afternoon this week, got my muck - 20 bags full - glad this will be a job only once or twice a year. My back and arms are killing me - I really need to get fit - James took pity on me and shifted half the bags for me and advised that I won't need to join a gym now I have an allotment - the weight should fall off - here's hoping LOL. Laughing

Painted my shed and some fencing, using a sheet of tarpaulin to cover the leaking roof as I can't afford any felt at the moment. Put a new floor in the shed because of it having rained in the chip board floor was rotting - now I have thick sturdy planks to walk on. Cleared everything out of the shed - there was lots to throw away, also lots of spiders including what looks to me like a False Widow. Shocked What a Face

Shallots, Garlic and Onions are coming on great, my Peas and Broad Beans sown earlier had rotted so I have sown some replacements at home. Planting my Maris Peer potato tubers today - anyone grown these before?? Obviously related to Maris Piper.

Its dark and blustery - I hate these Spring Gales - may give the plot a miss today. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower flower
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Apr 12 2015, 13:47
Think I grew them a year or two back, from memory, they need to be kept well watered, and pretty sure you'll have to be wary of slugs too.
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Apr 13 2015, 07:20
I'm thinking of putting them in a bed seeing as I have all this rotted horse manure - or may leave the bed for main-crop potatoes, the Maris Peer are 2nd Early.  Yields of growing in bags are nowhere near as good as growing in the ground.

Went to check on the plot last night and my windows had blown in again in the shed - saw a Blackbird flying out - wonder if they have begun a nest - in which case I won't be able to use the shed.
veg grower
veg grower

Thu Apr 16 2015, 11:02
No nest begun by the blackbirds when I went the following day. Daffodils are still showing - never known such a fantastic display. Sown last few onion sets I found hanging about, Tomplums Sweetpeas are coming along nicely as are the Sunflowers - I have prepared a small narrow bed for these that is backed by a shed and fence and they will grow nicely up these.

Sorting the greenhouse today, been psyching myself up for this - there is just an aluminium frame and the glass is piled at the side of the shed - luckily I think all of the panes are still intact - the weeds are growing thick and fast though - not looking forward to it but I will take my time and then put some tarpaulin down to suppress the weeds and then some gravel. I have some staging for one side of the greenhouse, this is in the shed, then and only then will I insert the panes - I am accident prone so will defo have to take mytime with this. Weather set to be ok (ie not raining) next few days so hopefully will get lots done. flower

tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Sun Apr 19 2015, 11:32
yes veggie those sweetpeas are doing well in my garden too, as are the sunflowers,
Very Happy
veg grower
veg grower

Fri Apr 24 2015, 11:45
The greenhouse is almost finished, just a few panes to put in - its great here, if you need anything you only have to ask - chances are someone somewhere will have what you need. I have spent over a week on it - I took some soapy water down with me and I scrubbed each pane before I replaced it - luckily my brother had left lots of z clips and fasteners so I haven't had to shell-out for anything.

My mum has emptied out her pots of old compost and I have been filling the barrow with this and taking down to plot to fill up my beds - won't be enough to fill all the beds though - will probably have to buy some compost or top soil.

Sown some wild flowers in a small bed and I am taking the Sweet Peas and some Sunflowers down today to plant at the back - these will all attract bees and butterflies. More muck has arrived so I will be going for some of this - I haven't paid him for the first lot yet. Weeds are coming on a treat need to keep on top of these. Could really do with a good burst of rain - set to rain from 3pm today - may save me getting the watering can out.

Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Fri Apr 24 2015, 13:56
Metcheck

Will it rain today?
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Fri Apr 24 2015, 13:59
Veg's tale about her shed reminded me of when I got the sack.

It was a mistake anyone could have made.

Some woman came in - a rather attractive woman as it happens - and asked me where she could get felt!!
veg grower
veg grower

Fri Apr 24 2015, 14:03
Tut!

I can't get my head round that second site - the BBC one says it will rain somewhere between 3-4pm LOL.
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Apr 27 2015, 09:40
flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  flower  

Still no proper rain, had the watering can out yesterday - its such a chore.  Planted 39 Broad Beans (first sowing rotted in the cold ground in Feb) and 9 Shallots - don't know the breed, Sue gave me them from next plot - I already have some Shallots (Red Sun) that I planted back in Feb and growing fine they are too!

Today I will plant last of the Maris Peer potatoes and I am growing Peas with them - I have done this before - the potatoes will go down the middle of the bed and then 2/3 zigzag rows of peas either side of the potatoes - will top up the potatoes as they grow down the middle - rotted horse manure lines the bottom of the bed.

I planted out Tomplums Sweet Peas yesterday and watered them in - wonder if the frost will have hit them - I was up at 4am this morning and it was proper frosty!  Sue had planted some Courgettes next door and they were hit last week by frost - bet they have been finished off now!

A tip for those who had Potatoes growing and the tops have been hit by frost - they will continue to grow - all is not lost.  The weather has been unseasonably hot the last few weeks - far too hot for April and people get lulled into a false sense of security - I have seen chaps planting all sorts of bedding plants - very foolish IMO, of course I keep my mouth shut LOL.

I gave the chap next door a Hazelnut sapling that was growing under my current full-size one - in a few years he will have his own Hazelnuts!  I have included the obligatory weather forecast but why I bother I don't know as they don't seem to be able to get it right from one day to the next.

....the emoticons are at the top - as they are still being norty and won't post at the end!

Last edited by veg grower on Sat May 02 2015, 07:58; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sweet peas, not Sunflowers LOL.)
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Jun 08 2015, 11:17
My greenhouse is finished and ready to go - I have lined the floor with pine bark/eucalyptus shavings and it smells like Christmas in there!

The Broad Beans I sowed at the end of April have all come up bar two - they are about to set their first flowers - I think the later sowing suited them astheir leaves and stems are broader than usual. My potatoes are ready for earthing up, they have put on lots of good growth, as have my shallots, onions and garlic. Peas seemed a bit slow but have kept watering them and they will be setting their flowers shortly.

Was given some sprouts seedlings of a good size and have planted these out, along with some rainbow chard and leeks. I have sown more beetroot, mixed lettuce and rocket which are coming along a treat - the rocket especially. A fellow I know gave me some Raspberry canes as he was clearing some land - not the usual time of year but 5 Raspberry caness cropping next year will do me! I have also planted out some of those plants I bought from B&M Bargains at 20p each - Blackcurrant, Blackberry and Gooseberries - they won't fruit for at least another year but 20p is peanuts even to me!

Sown Runner Beans, French Beans, Broccoli, Carrots and Alpine Strawbs - the weeds are a killer even though I visit my plot every day. Chance of a shower this eve, glad I watered everything yesterday as no proper rain forecast til Friday....

veg grower
veg grower

Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:22
Well, 10 out of ten raised beds all fully functioning. Three beds with Shallots, Onions and Garlic - garlic not done too good - they have all produced a decent sized ball but it is solid and with no cloves - and I have been told to replant these in Autumn and allow them to grow over winter, I am having a go with growing some Onions over winter too, both Red and White varities.

Two beds with Maris Peer potatoes - will be ready in a few weeks. A bed with Broad Beans and French Beans - bees are all over the flowers. Another bed has Sprouts planted out in their final positions - will be nice in winter, along with some Rainbow Chard and mixed varities of Lettuce. A further bed has Broccoli - will be ready when the sprouts are and the and the last two are mixed beds containing Beetroot, Peas, Rocket and Salad leaves and other odds and ends.

Tomatoes are growing amazingly quickly in the greenhose, I have them in pots and so hoping the watering goes ok - don't want any split fruits. I have sown some Leeks in trays outdoors - a bit late but it just means smaller leeks - I am doing the same with Carrots and Parsnips as I had nowhere to put them and so I am constructing some extra raised beds for these. I have sown herbs such as Chervil, Sage, Basil, Fennel - I am growing Dill at home so as not to cross pollinate the Fennel.

Fighting weeds on a daily basis and watering at the mo is a killer, I have sown some Climbing French Beans 'Blue Lake' in 2 large tubs with a wigwam of canes, and I have just sown some Runner Beans are edging the bed containing my Shallots, the early sown Shallots will be out before the Runners (Scarlet Emperor) are climbing. Been given some Sweetcorn to plant out (mine had failed) and George next door gave me the Broccoli - I get given lots of things, I am very lucky in that respect, made some lovely friends.

Burning weeds and prunings provides some much needed Potash, I have bought an Organic Liquid Feed which is made from seaweed which I add to water and so with the horse muck I am pretty sorted as regards feeding my produce.

Hoping to get a few hens this year and eventually bees......
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sat Jul 04 2015, 20:29
any chance of some pics VG, I'd love to see your plot Wink
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Jul 06 2015, 12:08
Tom - I have been taking pics on my tablet at various intervals so I should be able to show a before and after pic - the before one showing how it looked when I took it on and the after pic of say now when it is fully productive. I haven't transferred them to my computer yet - but hopefully I can post them soon!
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Mon Jul 06 2015, 13:33
great, I'll look forward to them, Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum