Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roundup

+3
Temeluchus
veg grower
Admin
7 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Roundup Empty Roundup

Sun Mar 22 2015, 10:45

From here

One of the world's most popular weed killers – and the most widely used kind in the US – can "probably" cause cancer, according to United Nations health chiefs.

The World Health Organisation’s (WHO) cancer arm has announced that best-selling 'Roundup', produced by Monsanto, contains an active ingredient that is "classified as probably carcinogenic to humans".

Amateur gardeners and professional farmers have been urged to “think very carefully” about using the popular herbicide after a report was published in clinical journal Lancet Oncology on Friday.

The report revealed glyphosate was “classified as probably carcinogenic to humans”.

It also said there was "limited evidence" that the key ingredient was carcinogenic in humans for non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Monsanto, the world's largest seed company, said scientific data does not support the conclusions and called on WHO to hold an urgent meeting to explain the findings.
veg grower
veg grower

Roundup Empty Re: Roundup

Sun Mar 22 2015, 11:23
No shock there - can't believe people are still using these products!

Chemicals don't just kill that which they are designed to kill.

Fact is, folk are just plain lazy - I am clearing the paths on my plot by hand - I would rather kill a single worm with my little knife than spray and kill heaven knows how many creatures over who knows how many years.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Mar 22 2015, 11:26
Interesting, I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread, becoming inactive once it hits the soil etc. but about a week ago, I read something that made me doubt it.

http://anonhq.com/mit-warns-half-of-all-children-will-be-autistic-by-2025-due-to-monsanto/
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Mar 22 2015, 11:28
No chemical is inactive when it hits anything.. Laughing

Never used a chemical in my life, never will...
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Mar 22 2015, 11:30
@veg grower wrote:No chemical is inactive when it hits anything.. Laughing

Never used a chemical in my life, never will...

If I could remember my high school and A Level Chemistry, I would rattle off examples to prove it.

Alas, I cannot. Embarassed
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Mar 22 2015, 11:56
Every herbicide, pesticide etc has a knock on effect - even the organic stuff.

As I say, folk are just plain lazy, spray whatever but never pause to think that what they are using can go on to kill many creatures.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Sun Mar 22 2015, 12:08
I've used it in the past, Like VG I'd sooner dig weeds out and get the root, there's a satisfaction in getting the bugger out, but weeds are crafty little blighters and can grow through tiny gaps where you can never get the root, so I've used it in those situations, its supposed to travel down to the root and kill it, I think I'll rethink about using now though, Roundup 2027234125
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Mar 23 2015, 09:41
Apologies for banging on ^^^ but it is something I feel strongly about! Laughing
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Mon Mar 23 2015, 09:50
I'm inclined to disagree about the carcinogenic idea. Glyphosate, used correctly does a good job in my opinion.

I appreciate, veggie's concerns but it's the only thing that seems to have any effect on horsetail.
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Mar 23 2015, 10:00
I have been digging that stuff out the past few weeks, I daresay I will be digging it out the next few years too.... Laughing
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Wed Jun 24 2015, 19:57
Glyphosate is the only thing I have found that kills Japanese Knot Weed.

Digging/pulling it up tends to encourage its spread!
bootneck
bootneck

Sun Sep 27 2015, 23:32
There is a weedkiller called " Kurtail " which kills horsetails . I've used it and found it works .
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Nov 09 2015, 13:27
I am still weeding by hand and not doing too bad, the more and regular I have pull at them the less they are appearing, and with the onset of winter the less I will have to do.
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Thu Nov 26 2015, 22:58
The re-evaluation of the safety of glyphosate was due to be published in November.

Have not seen any sign of it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum