Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strawberries

2 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Strawberries Empty Strawberries

Wed Jun 10 2015, 13:56
Think I have finally found way to prevent the rot from ground contact. Tradition was to place straw under, but if rained on, it seems to hold moisture, and becomes ineffective. Commercial growers use black plastic, but both of these methods seem to encourage slugs: guess that commercial growers have to use a lot of slug poison!

Cheap plastic forks: handle stuck into ground, and stalks of fruit supported between the tines.

Must get them netted this weekend. I got the first one to ripen, but so far birds have got all the rest.

Score so far: me 1, birds 27.
veg grower
veg grower

Strawberries Empty Re: Strawberries

Thu Jun 11 2015, 12:40
A way to save money on new straw is to use dried grass cuttings. I used to bend the stalks of the strawbs over the plant if you know what I mean - thereby repositioning them so they didn't touch the ground. Most I grew in containers of some sort - not got any here on my lotty yet.
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Fri Jun 12 2015, 11:34
Knowing that this year, I would be very busy, I have not planted any produce. Therefore not grown any, other than Tree Fruit and Strawberries, which were already present.

I have a lot of Strawberries.

If I do not net them , the birds clear almost the entire crop: they peck at them when they are partially ripened, leaving remainder of the fruit to rot.

Current score is me 1, birds about 50. So I will try to get them netted this weekend.

In principle, I have taken the decision to quit growing strawberries. What with the birds, the slugs and the rot.

Netting them is quite a lot of work: if I were to pay myself at minimum wage, the cost of growing them exceeds those which are shop bought.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum