Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

What is eating my TULIP BULBS? Empty What is eating my TULIP BULBS?

Thu Sep 10 2015, 21:33
Tulips were very disappointing this year: about a tenth of last year's performance.

I put it down to fact I had grown this years in containers rather than in the ground. Also they aint had much sun.

Today was the first sunny day we have had this year, and since Met says will only last till Friday, it is not long enough to allow sufficient drying of my woodwork for me to embark on painting. So decided to lift Tulip Bulbs, i.e. empty the containers.

Was going to dry in the sun. Instead, have binned them.

Holed repeatedly (A bit less than eighth of inch hole) and insides eaten away.

Any suggestions what is likely to be devouring Tulip Bulbs?

K-TEL
K-TEL

What is eating my TULIP BULBS? Empty Re: What is eating my TULIP BULBS?

Fri Sep 11 2015, 18:48

I had problems with slugs eating certain varieties of tulip when in the ground. I tried growing them in pots and it helped, although growth will be reduced if there are too many in each pot. Your problem might be slugs or it could be something else.

If it is slugs, all I can suggest is use a gritty compost such as John Innes, put about an inch of grit or coarse sand inthe base of the container and cover the surface with the same. Some people like to cover with eggshells. Don't forget to thin out the bulbs every year and replace the compost with new when re-potting.

Good luck

What is eating my TULIP BULBS? 1437016746

Fri Sep 11 2015, 18:59
Agree with K-tel. I use gritty compost such as John Innes number 3. for Bonsai trees and they are never touched. Experimented with an oak once, used normal peat free compost and slugs lived under the soil until I changed it.
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Sat Sep 12 2015, 18:40
I guess it could be slugs, though the small holes got me thinking more of some kind of grub of some bulb-fly or other.

I do have slug problems: I have over a thousand strawberry plants, which is a huge attraction for them.

Last Autumn, I dosed with 'Nemaslug' to reduce the over-wintering population.

Should have done same in spring, but soil temperature needs to be above 5 Deg C. to use Nemaslug.  This year soil temp did not reach that till third week of June, by which time the damage to strawberries, and possibly to bulbs had already occurred.

I have a few dozen slug pubs, but had these deployed around strawberry beds.  Maybe I have inadvertently driven slugs on to the bulbs, which are close by.  Next year, I will have to protect the bulbs with them as well.

Do you know if thrushes eat slugs?

Some years back, I would wake to the tap-tap of thrushes breaking snails out of their shells on the concrete path.  I don't know why they ceased doing this, unless I have reduced the snail population to a level that no-longer attracts them.  I had thought maybe the thrushes had gone, but saw today about a dozen of them feeding on the berries on Rowan Tree by my front door.

But can I enlist their help with the slugs?
Little Jim
Little Jim

Mon May 09 2016, 14:44
I think the most likley cause of your problem could be Vine Weavel when you empty a pot look for a white maggot like grub with a brown spot on the head, search the compost.They eat the roots .
KPC
KPC

Mon May 09 2016, 22:17
I'm not much of a Gardner but last year we left all bulbs in the ground instead of lifting and storing etc, our tulips this time are very poor instead of being up straight they are at all angles and the flower heads seem smaller
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum