Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

'Rust' and 'Black Spot' Empty 'Rust' and 'Black Spot'

Fri Nov 06 2015, 02:34
Been extremely bad this year on my roses. Perhaps having had hardly any sun has been a factor.

Regularly doused them with 'Rose Clear', and I assume it would have otherwise have been even worse.

Anyway, come pruning time, will cut them back severely.

May try copper sulphate/ Bordeaux mix.

Anyone have any further tips to try to get them healthier for next year?
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

'Rust' and 'Black Spot' Empty Re: 'Rust' and 'Black Spot'

Fri Nov 06 2015, 02:46
Just discovered that this one, which is RHS recommended product is being withdrawn, and cannot be sold after end of this month!

Better do some quick research: maybe there are good reasons not to use it. Otherwise, I will have to grab some fast before it disappears forever.

Fri Nov 06 2015, 08:57
Preventing Black Spot on Rose Bushes

Treating black spot roses begins with prevention. Black spot rose disease control includes adequate planting sites, the use of resistant cultivars, and pruning. Roses should be planted in areas with plenty of sunlight and good circulation.

Good garden hygiene is important for treating black spot roses. During the growing season, overhead watering should be avoided. Removal of leaf litter and pruning of diseased canes (back to healthy wood) is also important. Keeping the rose bushes thinned well at pruning and deadheading times will help the airflow through the bush, thus also helping to prevent black spot on roses and other fungal disease outbreaks.

With any of the fungal diseases, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound or more of cure! Either having a routine spraying program or keeping a close eye on your rose bushes is a priority. The sooner roses black spot treatment starts, the easier it is to gain control of it. I like to use the Green Cure as my main fungicidal spraying product, as it is earth friendly and does the job it needs to do. Neem oil can also be used, which helps control many rose pests as well.

Some people also use baking soda, which helps change the pH level on leaf surfaces, making it more difficult for black spot to infect plants. To make this organic solution, mix a couple tablespoons of baking soda with a gallon of water. Adding a drop or two of bleach free dish soap will help keep the baking soda on the leaf. Spray both sides of the foliage. Reapply weekly and repeat after any rain.

Fri Nov 06 2015, 11:14
Ringspot is another
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Nov 09 2015, 13:24
I read in a gardening book about how Black Spot was never seen years ago when the air quality was poor.  I have had it once or twice, but I pruned and it improved - the worst affected were always cheap ones bought from garden centres.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum