Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) Empty Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Tue Dec 29 2015, 19:11
I have been through it a few times now and have started coming to some concloosions about it, firstly the right turn into Poolstock Lane seems to operate in the same way as the right turn into Sainsburys, in that because traffic waiting to turn right at Sainsburys, invariably backs down the duel carriageway, blocking the right hand lane of the duel carriageway, when the lights operate to allow traffic to turn right into Sainsburys, the lights seem to remain on green until all the traffic as cleared the slip road and the same seems to be happening at the right turn into Poolstock Lane, the lights and sensors in the road allow most, if not all of the traffic wishing to turn right into Poolstock Lane to do so, before changing back to red and also and this should please tomplum (but it probably won't) when the traffic is flowing into Poolstock Lane from the duel carriageway, the traffic lights are on green for traffic turning left from Poolstock Lane on to the duel carriageway cheers

I suppose like gaffer suggested that could be improved by building a proper slip road from Poolstock Lane on to the duel carriageway on the land available there, but they (the powers that bee) want to discourage traffic from using Poolstock Lane and instead want the traffic to use the duel carriageway through Goose Green instead.

So I think the losers are traffic which uses Highfield Grange Avenue, which is folk who live in Winstanley and traffic which uses Winstanley as a rat run, well traffic shouldn't use Winstanley as a rat run and folk who live in Winstanley, well you shouldn't have moved to Winstanley should you, because in any case it's full of scousers affraid

Winners seem to be traffic coming down from the motorway towards Wigan and to a lesser extent traffic heading away from Wigan on the duel carriageway through Goose Green, because that traffic as to wait for traffic turning right into Poolstock Lane, but when new link road is built, there should be a lot less traffic wanting to go down Poolstock Lane, so that should speed things up for traffic heading away from Wigan Smile

tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Tue Dec 29 2015, 19:30
thank you sir bob,
my observations are, the only winners are highfield grange, the tailbacks from the junction down Poolstock Lane are longer, the tailbacks from the junction in both diections along Warrington Rd are longer,though they do move faster when the lights change,
My concloooosion is ,,,if you like sitting in traffic queues, the money has been well spent but If you don't like being in stopped traffic ( as most people don't), Its hard to understand why a major job like this was ever passed as an improvement, there's clearly NO improvement just a shift priorities ,
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout) Empty Re: Marus Bridge Junction (ex roundabout)

on Tue Dec 29 2015, 20:50
Perhaps they are using the word 'improved', in the same sense that Microsoft uses it. That is, in the same way that the iceberg could be said to have 'improved' Titanic!

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 18:03
Took me 6 mins to get from Yates's Chippy to the lights at the ex roundabout. Took me a minute to get from the lights to Sainsbo's.
On the way back there was a delay because of a crash.
A waste of money. Taxpayers money at that.
(17:20)
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 18:33
Well I came through there at about 11.45pm last night from the motorway and I came straight through there no hold ups whatsoever, no traffic at all on the junction and lights were on green Very Happy
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 18:36
How can you prevent people from using Poolstock Lane? Worsley Mesnes top estate can be accessed from Warrington Road as can the bottom, but Hawkley residents need access from Poolstock Lane as do the people who live on Poolstock Lane and Poolstock and just off it like Morton Ave and Holborn Ave and the new houses on Cricketers Way and those who live on and just  off Helmsman Way and those folk who live in Poolstock like Pool Street and Baker Street....and those that live on Corporation Street and off it....

so ner.........Bobsy blue

Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 18:38
.and the Council have put lots of shiny luminous yellow signs all along Swan Meadow Road and Pool Street, telling folk to slow down and drive carefully and think.............so please do!

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 19:08
@Vixen wrote:How can you prevent people from using Poolstock Lane? Worsley Mesnes top estate can be accessed from Warrington Road as can the bottom, but Hawkley residents need access from Poolstock Lane as do the people who live on Poolstock Lane and Poolstock and just off it like Morton Ave and Holborn Ave and the new houses on Cricketers Way and those who live on and just  off Helmsman Way and those folk who live in Poolstock like Pool Street and Baker Street....and those that live on Corporation Street and off it....

so ner.........Bobsy blue
When I read the bumf on it, it just said that traffic would be discouraged from using Poolstock Lane, by measures which could inclood 20 mph zones and looking at the crappy left turn provision at the end of Poolstock Lane, it looks obvious that, that is one of the 'measures they mentioned.

The whole nature of that junction as changed now, but I think that folk are set in their ways, for 50 years, the best way to get from Wigan to Marus Bridge was down Poolstock Lane to avoid end of Pottrey Road and the railway bridge and the Saddle Junction, so to change habits, so that to persuade folk to use Warrington Road instead of Poolstock Lane will be difficult.

tomplum
tomplum
Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 19:22
difficult is right, more like impossible,

If you notice that cycle lane at the end of Poolstock lane that goes behind the new bus stop, it has a narrow entry and narrow exit but inbetween its wide enough for cars, but not lorrys, I have a feeling there's a 'plan B' to open that cycle path into a slip road should the council feel its necessary, Neutral

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 19:27
Am surprised that at 11:45 pm the road was clear. Maybe the 6pm traffic had made it home after all.
The road has done nothing to speed up traffic.
Ragbru
Ragbru

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 19:30
tom, I have not seen the area for some years, However, looking at the video you made, (Shown at the 'another place'), it does appear that the left filter lane could easily be longer, and a proper avoiding slip drain off the left-turning traffic from Poolstock Lane going South on Warrington Road.
Ragbru
Ragbru

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 19:51
just

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 19:58
@Mac wrote:Took me 6 mins to get from Yates's Chippy to the lights at the ex roundabout. Took me a minute to get from the lights to Sainsbo's.
On the way back there was a delay because of a crash.
A waste of money. Taxpayers money at that.
(17:20)

reported here.
Ragbru
Ragbru

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 20:13
Sorry Mac, I should have commented that you had already reported it!
Ragbru
Ragbru

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 20:20
If they want to channel the through traffic onto Warrington Road, why not build a flyover? The junction is already in a dip, so the geography is favourable.
dodger
dodger

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 20:38
They (the council) have put the cart before the horse, the idea is to channel traffic away from Poolstock lane, but they have not yet built the new road which is planned to take it away.
When (if ever) this road is built, Poolstock Lane will have speed bumps to deter traffic from using it.
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 21:21
I for one will not be discouraged. I am not adding 2 miles onto my journey cos of a blinkin bypass.....

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 21:29
@Vixen wrote:I for one will not be discouraged. I am not adding 2 miles onto my journey cos of a blinkin bypass.....
How's it adding two miles to your journey bounce
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 21:33
cos I will have to drive to the start of the bypass to get on it and then come off it at the other end, when I could just drive up Poolstock Lane and voila!

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 21:35
@Vixen wrote:cos I will have to drive to the start of the bypass to get on it and then come off it at the other end, when I could just drive up Poolstock Lane and voila!

What about Swan Meadow/Southgate/Warrington Road, yoo could doo that now tongue
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 21:51
I dont want to do that now, Swan Meadow/Pottery Road is an accident waiting to happen, that junction is poo you cant see over the bridge as to what is coming down Wallgate....no ta

Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 21:57
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/crash-at-new-junction-1-7679679

Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 22:04
first of many i suspect, traffic lights incourage  speeding up to get through the green it often means they go through on red and bushuck,
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 22:16
@Vixen wrote:I dont want to do that now, Swan Meadow/Pottery Road is an accident waiting to happen, that junction is poo you cant see over the bridge as to what is coming down Wallgate....no ta
Yes that is troo, it was easier getting across the old roundabout at Marus Bridge, than it is getting out on to Pottery Road, especially at busy times.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

on Sat Jan 16 2016, 22:22
and then you get some silly buggers waiting for a gap in the outside lane instead of getting out then filtering in, Rolling Eyes
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum