Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

am I too early? - Page 2 Empty am I too early?

Sun Feb 09 2014, 14:54
First topic message reminder :

been pottering in garden today, sown some tomato seeds, marigolds and planted 2 flower discs in hanging baskets, fired up the ole parrafin greenhouse heater and hoping for no frost, do you think I'm being optimistic?

Temeluchus
Temeluchus

am I too early? - Page 2 Empty Re: am I too early?

Wed Feb 26 2014, 18:47
They make a good filler, and I usually get good crops.

Can't say I mind them, but main use of tomatoes in our house is for curries or on roast beef/ham butties.

Very occasionally I do cheese and tomato toast under the grill.  Very Happy 
veg grower
veg grower

Thu Feb 27 2014, 05:20
Message reputation : 0% (1 vote)
I think the reason Moneymaker is so popular is because of its reliability. More and more heirloom varieties are appearing in the seed catalogues these days, has anyone tried any of these??? Very Happy 
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Thu Feb 27 2014, 10:35
I tried that '6 pack' varieties from Wilks year before last, out of the 6 variries only the cherries turned out good, all the rest got blight, I'm stcking with money makers this year,
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Thu Feb 27 2014, 14:42
@veg grower wrote:I think the reason Moneymaker is so popular is because of its reliability.  More and more heirloom varieties are appearing in the seed catalogues these days, has anyone tried any of these??? Very Happy 

Last year, grew Ailsa Craig tomato outdoors: tasted good, heavy crop, and large fruits.

Downside: a lot were mis-shapen, (multi-lobed)

Also, I lost most of the outdoor crop due to splitting: as caused by uneven watering.
Most of the season was very dry, and I did endeavour to adequately water them. Then it rained constantly for more than three weeks, so nowt I could do to stop them swelling too rapidly and bursting! (That was all varieties, not just the Ailsa Craig)

Reminds me VG, a couple of years ago, you asked (in another place) if I would let you know how the 'upside down' growing worked out, Now had good years and bad years: Can be bit of a pain to water them, and in very wet weather, growing medium drains for a long time, keeping the foliage soaked, and hence prone to rot and fungi.

Will not be doing them this year, because I have got hundreds of strawberry plants, and will put a number of them into the 'upside down' growers.
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Thu Feb 27 2014, 14:46
Tom

That year, I lost my entire tomato crop (many varieties), and my entire potato crop, to blight.

It was such a wet Summer, the entire county (Lincs) was suffering the same. The commercial growers sustained enormous losses.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Thu Feb 27 2014, 14:51
I have one of the upside down growing bags, not yet used. I did think of using it for strawberries this year.

I also fancy some of the 'climbing' strawberries.
veg grower
veg grower

Fri Feb 28 2014, 05:22
Message reputation : 0% (1 vote)
Ragbru - thanks for that! I really didn't fancy growing tomatoes in those, as soon as I saw them I thought of disease, mainly because the foliage is catching all the water - good luck with the strawberries. Very Happy 
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum