Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Peterloo Massacre Empty Peterloo Massacre

on Tue Aug 16 2016, 09:09
16th Aug 1819 The Peterloo massacre took place at St Peter's Field, Manchester when militia, with sabres drawn, charged on a crowd of 60,000–80,000 gathered to hear discussion on the reform of parliamentary representation. 15 people were killed and 650 injured.

On the 16th of August 1819 the huge open area around what's now St Peters Square, Manchester, played host to an outrage against over 60,000 peaceful pro-democracy and anti-poverty protesters; an event which became known as The Peterloo Massacre.

An estimated 18 people, including a woman and a child, died from saber cuts and trampling. Over 700 men, women and children received extremely serious injuries. All in the name of liberty and freedom from poverty.

The Massacre occurred during a period of immense political tension and mass protests. Fewer than 2% of the population had the vote, and hunger was rife with the disastrous corn laws making bread unaffordable.

More here

Last edited by Admin on Tue Aug 16 2016, 19:05; edited 2 times in total
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Peterloo Massacre Empty Re: Peterloo Massacre

on Tue Aug 16 2016, 10:29
There is always stuff like that happening isn't there, like is mentioned in the article, the Tienanmen Square massacre and in a way it reminds me of what happened at Orgreave, in that I know the miners were breaking the law, but it was still the establishment, the ruling elite, riding roughshod over the masses to keep them in their place and remind them who's boss.
Admin
Admin
Admin

on Tue Aug 16 2016, 19:05
Peterloo Massacre Blue-p10
Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

on Tue Aug 16 2016, 21:47
Makes us glad that things have changed...??? Embarassed
Admin
Admin
Admin

on Thu Jul 04 2019, 21:45

As the region prepares to mark the bicentenary of the appalling occasion when soldiers charged into a crowd of protestors demanding reform in Manchester in 1819, Yvonne Eckersley has said Wigan and Leigh was a hotbed of cries for change.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/people/wigan-remembers-peterloo-massacre-1-9857548?fbclid=IwAR0SeIUbSkHdOiPhirFO7-9ib_zXsTF5uTC2dZFdZsI6QilsC2v7xG-i6wg

on Tue Aug 13 2019, 21:37
Peterloo Bicentenary 16 August 2019

On the 16th of August 1819 the huge open area around what's now St Peter's Square, Manchester, played host to an outrage against over 60,000 peaceful pro-democracy and anti-poverty protesters; an event which became known as
The Peterloo Massacre.

http://peterloomassacre.org/history.html

on Tue Aug 13 2019, 22:02
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 11:38
I have watched about half of the film on Amazon and it wer dooing me head in, because of the dialogue and accents which the actors were using, because they have got it wrong, folk around here never spoke like that, in that they didn't pronounce the words like how the actors are pronouncing them ...

Take for example the Lancastrian dialect words "Thi Sen" which in English translates to "Thy Self" or "Your Self" depending on the context in which the word is being used, and I myself in certain company and in certain situations will use those exact Lancastrian dialect words, but the context has got to be right, and it is not the sort of words a man will use to a woman, it is normally said between men and the words are pronounced in a certain way and at a certain speed, which is a fast speed, and normally will be used in an argument, as in a man who is falling out with another man " will say in an almost guttural way and at a fast speed, and with a certain amount of aggression "doo it thi sen" as final remark in a heated conversation, but normally the dialect would be "tha con doo it thi sel" or most people would put an 'f' in and say "tha con doo it thi self"

But in the film to me the dialect just sounds stupid, and it spoils it, but other may disagree elephant

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 15:28
Peterloo Massacre Picnicposter

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 22:01
A new memorial to the Peterloo Massacre, designed by Jeremy Deller. Photograph: Christopher Thomond/The Guardian

Peterloo Massacre 6720
tonker
tonker

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 22:12
@Sir Bob wrote: ....
Take for example the Lancastrian dialect words "Thi Sen" which in English translates to "Thy Self" or "Your Self" ....

It's Yorkshire dialect!

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 22:16
"It's Yorkshire dialect!"

I think I agree with Tonker, that is pure Yorkshire.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 22:55
Yorkshire me arse Peterloo Massacre Ass10

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 22:59
him wrote:A new memorial to the Peterloo Massacre, designed by Jeremy Deller. Photograph: Christopher Thomond/The Guardian

Peterloo Massacre 6720

Place names are carved in the steps

Peterloo Massacre 0_Peterloo-Massacre-memorial

tonker
tonker

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 23:11
I, kind of, knew Wigan would have to be included somewhere along the line!

From Wigan Evening Post -

"A Wigan historian has spoken of the role played by men and women from the borough in the Peterloo Massacre which took place 200 years ago."

Borough, borough, borough! Get a life!! Rolling Eyes

Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 23:14
I watched rest of the rest of the film this afternoon, and Wigan was mentioned, Maxine Peek asked an ugly couple where they came from, and they said Wigan, and she repeated "Wiggin, tha's come a long way" to which bloke said "Aye we set off at 6" but when the attack started a soldier called him a fat bastard and stabbed him with his sword and killed him ....

on Wed Aug 14 2019, 23:32
St Helens families of folk caught up in a terrible but history-changing episode of Britain’s past are being sought.

Two centuries later the potential number of descendants is vast, as is the geographical area they could live in and the variety of stories that link to this watershed moment in history. Could you be a Peterloo Descendant?

https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/news/people/could-you-contribute-to-peterloo-massacre-research-1-9610430

on Thu Aug 15 2019, 22:42
AWP1983
AWP1983

on Fri Aug 16 2019, 12:56
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum