View previous topicGo downView next topic
raymyjamie

Musical Trivia

on Sun Nov 05 2017, 19:00
Musical Trivia

The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie." (hence the name of the Don McLean song.)

Steely Dan got their name from a sexual device depicted in the book 'The Naked Lunch.'

The song with the longest title is "I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues" written by Hoagy Carmichael in 1943.

The first music video and the one-millionth played on MTV was the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star

3-Day advance purchase tickets for the first Woodstock (1969), were $18.00. The price at the gate, $24.

Jim Morrison (of the 60's rock group The Doors) was the first rock star to be arrested on stage.

In 1976 Sarah Caldwell became the first woman to conduct the Metropolitan Opera in New York City .

Duran Duran got their name from a character in the film "Barbarella".

Coldplay were the first artist to sell a Million digital albums in America .

The longest title for a record in the UK charts - The Face's / Rod Stewart's 1974 No. 12 hit "You Can Make Me Dance Sing Or Anything (Even Take The Dog For A Walk, Mend A Fuse, Fold Away The Ironing Board, Or Any Other Domestic Shortcomings)" has 115 letters (punctuations don't count!).

Longest title without brackets in the UK charts - The Freshies' 1981 release "I'm In Love With The Girl On A Certain Manchester Megastore Checkout Desk" (60 letters) peaked at number 54!

Shortest number 1 title in the UK charts is "If" by Telly Savalas (no. 1, Feb 1975).

"Wannabe" by the Spice Girls is the largest selling single by female artists in the UK . (1.2 Million)

The best-selling album of all time is "Thriller" by Michael Jackson (USA), with global sales of over 51 million copies to date since 1982. The success of the album also helped Jackson win a record eight Grammy Awards in 1984.

The Who hold the official record as the loudest band in concert at 126 decibels although Manowar somewhat inconclusively lay claim to reaching 129.5 decibels in 1994 but were refused recognition by Guinness as an official record
Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

Re: Musical Trivia

on Sun Nov 05 2017, 19:47
Interesting stuff, Ray... cheers
Corky Ringspot

on Sun Nov 05 2017, 21:04
More knowledge.
Gassey

on Mon Nov 06 2017, 19:07