Go down
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

book swap/used books/ Empty book swap/used books/

on Sun Apr 26 2020, 17:52
My wife is struggling to get books, she reads loads and usually goes into the book shop in Wigan where they do 3 books for a fiver, then swaps with her mates who do similar So with the book shops shut and she's not getting out to see her buddies, she needs to get books

Any suggestions for book swap sites, or cheap book sale sites,
tonker
tonker

book swap/used books/ Empty Re: book swap/used books/

on Sun Apr 26 2020, 19:05
Tom, my mum was a books fan. It follows that I've got loads. She's welcome to take her pick from my library! Very Happy
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

on Sun Apr 26 2020, 20:08
any romance books, that's mostly what she reads ?
tonker
tonker

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 01:27
@tomplum wrote:any romance books, that's mostly what she reads ?

They're all that sort of stuff. I'll take a few photos and send them to you on t'whatsup!
Mac
Mac

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 09:08
I have a few books, one is entitled, 'Among the thugs' by Bill buford. A lighhearted romantic novel set on the terraces of various football grounds. Opposing factions show their love in jocular, often delightful ways.

A heartbreaker 4stars. Richard and Judy

Last edited by Mac on Mon Apr 27 2020, 09:09; edited 1 time in total

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 09:09
Tom

What about a standard Kindle reader, and the millions of books you can get for free or very cheap online, I bought one a few years back now and I found it to be just like reading a book, and I find it hard to get used to new things, for instance I can only use me varifocal specs when I am out, when I am a wom, I wear me old standard specs, but I was surprised how I took to that kindle .
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 09:42
I suggested a kindle but, I got one of those ' looking over the glasses looks' a speechless frown and a slight, almost none movement of the head ,
I'm never quite sure what it means, she has a ipad and I think you can download books onto that, I'm not a bookworm but understand there's a sort of pleasure in holding it, slamming shut and having in hand, the page you are at is an indication of how far the story is left to go, its a door stop, a step up for a low shelf, a poise improver when balanced on the head and a missile to throw at me and catch my attention as I'm enjoying watching a bonny wench on t'telly, Rolling Eyes
Mac
Mac

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 09:58
Has she a kindle, Tomp? I have one she could rent from me?
I could even stick a few hundred books on it. Any genre.
£1 a month?

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 21:59
Tom

I have got an early kindle, it is not a touch screen and it does not have a back light, if it goes dark yoo have to put a light on to read it, just like a book, the screen is designed to mimic a book, it is about the same size, as a book, the same font, the white background is an off white background, just like book paper is, but you can alter the text size, and you can alter the font, it is permanently linked to the 3g network for life, no set up it comes ready connected, and it is all in with the purchase price, and it works anywhere in the world, the idea being that if you aquire a book from Amazon, it is automatically downloaded on to the kindle, but yoo can connect it to a PC by using a program such has 'Calibre' that allows you to upload ebooks on to the kindle, which you have got from other places other than Amazon.

I have got the complete works of Charles Dickens and George Orwell, which I got for free from an Australian University, I have not read them except for the first bit of George Orrwel'ls 'The Road To Wiggin Peer'

It really is a shit hot device and it is nothing, and I repeat nothing like reading a book on a IPad, which is light emitting device, a kindle is a light reflecting device, just like a book is Smile
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

on Mon Apr 27 2020, 22:12
Sir Bob, I'm sure you are a good judge of books/reading/ whats real and whats not, Mrs Plum loves books, In her world a book, has to be paper, a phone has to have a dial, a telly has to have the remote control on the table several feet away from where you are sitting, shopping must be paid in cash, here is a conversation we had recently on a bus,

Mrs Plum,,,,,Tom, that person did not pay the fare,
Me,...............yes he did, he paid with his phone,
Mrs Plum,,,,, he paid with his phone ? don't talk daft, how can he do that ?

she still donkey stones the front step, Rolling Eyes
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

on Tue Apr 28 2020, 09:55
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Right oh Tom Smile

Mac
Mac

on Tue Apr 28 2020, 17:07
Been busy, Tomp?

book swap/used books/ 95219060_1409216632605101_6420078785772650496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_eui2=AeHgl4GklBIio8365Phm7llN3ww2zBa9kGXfDDbMFr2QZYHpxV3kiOS3goA5roJWTXc&_nc_ohc=9AE7jMZ3Z80AX_CRfFR&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1

Admin

on Tue Apr 28 2020, 17:55
Ha Ha, there's nowt wrong with that and it must have been a pig to cut a hole that size through glass, at second looks, if that wall that the flu is pointing to is less than a metre, it is infringing regs, Suspect
Mac
Mac

on Fri May 08 2020, 20:11
I am a tsundoku. I have far too many books

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum