Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mac
Mac

The meaning and origin of the expression Empty The meaning and origin of the expression

Sun Mar 14 2021, 09:32
All fingers and thumbs

What's the origin of the phrase 'All fingers and thumbs'?
This joins head over heels in the list of little sayings that don't make a great deal of sense, as having fingers and thumbs is hardly unusual. Both phrases have changed in form over time yet retained their original meaning. Previously 'all fingers and thumbs' was simply 'all thumbs'.

In 1546, John Heywood published A Dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the Prouerbes in the Englishe tongue - no mean undertaking, even in the 16th century. In this, he gives:

"Giijb, Whan he should get ought, eche fynger is a thumbe."

Unless you have lobster hands, or Ectrodactyly

(also known as a split hand-split foot malformation, cleft hand or lobster claw hand) is a skeletal anomaly predominantly affecting the hands (although the feet can also be affected). The condition has a highly variable severity.

We lead, others follow.
tonker
tonker

The meaning and origin of the expression Empty Re: The meaning and origin of the expression

Sun Mar 14 2021, 12:54
"How's your arse for blackheads"?
Mac
Mac

The meaning and origin of the expression Empty Re: The meaning and origin of the expression

Sun Mar 14 2021, 15:39
Well, now you mention it, I found a family of p....Best not, electricity legs will cry to forumotion about anything posted he sees offensive. Very Happy

We lead, others follow.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum