Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumblebees

2 posters
Go down
Mac
Mac

Bumblebees Empty Bumblebees

Fri May 21 2021, 19:13
Bumblebees GettyImages-143666020-scaled

So, when did we even start calling them bumblebees? It’s probably much more recent than you think. Up until around 1910 they were known as humblebees. By the 1950s we called them bumblebees, possibly thanks to a story by Beatrix Potter who wrote a story which included Babbity Bumble who caused trouble by making mossy nests in the back garden of Mrs Tittlemouse. Naughty Bumble!

I also noticed that the English common names we use for bumblebee species tend to be connected with the identification features of the different species (e.g. white-tailed bumblebee, buff-tailed bumblebee, red-tailed, etc) whereas the Latin (scientific) names are more often more descriptive of the typical habitats where the species are found.

For example:

Common carder (Bombus pascuorum) = bumblebee of the pastures
Bilberry bumblebee (Bombus monticola) = mountaineer bumblebee
Buff-tailed bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) = earth bumblebee
Shrill carder bumblebee (Bombus sylvarum) = bumblebee of the woods
So, all this got me wondering. If I were starting from a blank slate to name the different species, how might I go about it? I might call the red-tailed bumblebee the “fire–tailed bumblebee”… or the carder bumblebee could be the “teddy bear bumblebee” because it looks to me just like a tiny flying bear. I might name the Great yellow the “Best of All bumblebee”, but some of my colleagues at the Trust might object!

*Though, if you’ve seen any slow-motion video of bumblebees, you might think otherwise! Did you know they are actually built quite robustly because they often bump into things and bounce off them… that’s a thought for another time though.

We lead, others follow.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Bumblebees Empty Re: Bumblebees

Fri May 21 2021, 21:46
butterflys are called that name because they , futter by , Dr spooner found this out and since then, if you name something wrong, its called a ' spoonerisum,
workin furries, ( effin worries)
mint imperial ( immaterial )

and many others
Mac
Mac

Fri May 21 2021, 23:58
A pensioner I know always says it's 'Mint imperial',

We lead, others follow.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum: