Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

+4
Ragbru
veg grower
tomplum
Temeluchus
8 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? Empty What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Thu Jun 12 2014, 23:59
Well, this eve, I trimmed down most of the older comfrey, which is now spent. Cut the leaves off, placed in a bucket, and weighted down, to squeeze the juice from it for some liquid feed next year.

I think the weekend will consist of tidying up the rest of the garden, and finding somewhere to plant the Kilmarnock Willow that Mrs Tem bought Rolling Eyes
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? Empty Re: What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Sat Jun 14 2014, 09:58
I've took up my decking section and i've not decided what i'm doing with it yet, so while i'm pondering there's the day to day watering,weeding,grass cutting,stringing, then sitting for a while with a cuppa and more pondering, ah ah, there's a thought, a pond (light bulb) hmmm, i'll look into that a bit further, :(wh): 
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? Empty Re: What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Sat Jun 14 2014, 11:42
Could always use the wood to create some raised beds, Tom. What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? 709307421

Could do with mowing the lawn, but I'm going to wait until rain is due, then do it. Don't want to end up with dried out grass.
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Jun 15 2014, 09:17
Been potting out tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, aubergine and squash into their final pots - getting quite big now. Just need to remember to water baskets and pots as I have found they have been drying out despite the rain - especially the baskets. Painted an old gift basket up and planted petunias in it, my brother had a basket barbecue that has rusted, so painting that with some black Hammerite and using it as a planter - makes quite a feature! Trying to stop Thor peeing against my potatoes, t'other day twas the peas. Rolling Eyes Laughing 
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Tue Jun 17 2014, 00:16
Done the lawn today, as it went very cloudy over, and - you guessed it, no rain Rolling Eyes

Planted the good lady's Kilmarnock Willow (finally!), done some general tidying and maintenance, strimmed half of the border so I could plant the willow, and cleared around the cherry tree, so it has room to breathe. Tomorrow when I get home, it'll be a case of finishing the border, then do the other one, and start backfilling it with the mounds of earth dotted around the garden. Also cleared around the redcurrant bush, did a little bit of pruning where branches were crossing, cleared a bit from around the rasberries, blueberries etc. Smile
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sun Jun 22 2014, 14:19
so after a good long pondering, i decided on a water feature, I used some of the decking wood and other stuff from what i had so the cost is zero, i now need a pump which i've ordered off Ebay for £8, I'm not expecting much of a pump for £8 but its worth a try for that money, it works off solar so there's no wiring involved, I'll post a video in the July update but for now here's a pic of the water feature,

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? SAM_0403_zpsd404d61d
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Mon Jun 23 2014, 00:23
Un-net strawberries, pick strawberries, peg runners, re-net strawberries. (Last year birds got more than 99% of crop, hence nets)

Make willow trellises for 'Lady Boothby' (the so-called climbing Fuchsia) Tie Lady Boothby to trellises. Last year, this was my longest performing bloom, lasting from June to January.

Dead-head Roses

Harvest a charge of Comfrey for the composter

Lift Tulip bulbs: over 90% slug eaten, fit only for the bin. YUK.
(use slug pubs and ferric type pellets, will have to give Nemaslug a go)

Some emergency watering of the most parched - Himalayan Blue Poppies and Clematis

and with that it's gone dark !
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Jun 23 2014, 00:31
Looks brill Tom. Smile

Ragbru, I've had my strawberries in the greenhouse up until today, when I've taken them out to peg the runners into pots.

Do you make liquid fertiliser from your comfrey? I'm on my secod flush of leaves, will probably make more liquid fertiliser with this too.

I have had problems with my cabbage being eaten by caterpillars, and the slugs have been a nuisance eating radish and the leaves of my King Edward spuds. They've given Mrs Tem's dahlia's a good munching too, the little blighters. My biggest pest has been with the ants so far. They've been all over my raspberries unfortunately, due to the aphids. Sad

I'm not too fussed about birds eating the fruit, as long as I still get some. They can have the redcurrants and blueberries, as there's not a great many of them. They've had some of my tayberries though, which I've never had before.

Anyway, today has mainly been a bit of general tidying in the greenhouse, removing side shoots from tomatoes, done the strawberry runners as I said, taken some lavender cuttings, and relaid the driveway. Smile
Ragbru
Ragbru

Mon Jun 23 2014, 12:20
I would be quite prepared to share the strawberries with the birds, if somehow I could persuade the birds to share them with me.

Last year, with more than 300 strawberry plants, I got around ten strawberries I recall at the time they had cost me £6 per strawberry.

The birds eat the half of the berry that first ripens, so I still had to pick, to stop the uneaten halves rotting on the plant!

This year, birds have had the first 50 or so berries: effort involved with nets means it is not worth netting the few precocious ripening fruits.

Any advice on stopping the tiny slugs from devouring my Tulip Bulbs would be greatly appreciated.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Mon Jun 23 2014, 12:24
Used to do the Comfrey liquid for tomatoes, but not growing any tomato this year.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Jun 23 2014, 12:45
You could use the comfrey feed for soft fruit too, or at least I did. Laughing Used it as a replacement for Tomorite. Unable to help regarding tulip bulbs, unless you put them in pots and make use of the copper tape - it worked for me, albeit a little late. 

I've considered the nematode's before now, but the ones for dealing with ants. If you do invest, let us know how you get on Very Happy
veg grower
veg grower

Tue Jun 24 2014, 08:39
Tomp I love your water feature!

tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Tue Jun 24 2014, 13:31
thanks veg, i'll do a vid when the pumps all set up. As I was taking the decking down there was a frog jumping about. i think he lives in a neighbours garden. hopefully he'll add a bit of character, and a few more little frogs. Smile 
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sat Jun 28 2014, 11:49
update for June,

Douglas
Douglas

Sat Jun 28 2014, 18:06
Been busy with other stuff so only just gerrin round to plantin' stuff. Been out today and got 4 hangin' baskets and stuff to fill 'em. Fuschias, Trailing Lobelia, Geraniums. Also got some herbs, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme.
I should make more time as it's very calming when you're potterin' around. Very Happy 
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Jun 29 2014, 21:47
Good video, Tom What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? 709307421 Have you found out what the flowers are yet?

Marigolds are a good companion plant to have in your greenhouse when you grow tomatoes, they keep some pests away. Smile

I've just been reusing some old brick to edge the driveway, so I've spent an hour or two digging the trench and putting the brick in. Had a mini BBQ today to make the most of the weather, and I'm now wanting to build a brick BBQ Laughing
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Mon Jun 30 2014, 11:25
no Tem I don't know what they are, I bought them at B+M's in a box of assorted seeds for sowing in the borders, I never took notice what the box said the seeds were, I'll have to look for the same box and hopefully it'll have the seed names on it, Thats the fun in gardening, there's always something to learn and having a garden forum is a big help, hooray for admin,  cheers 
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sat Jul 05 2014, 15:03
right, so the new pump for my feature came today
https://s222.photobucket.com/user/tomplum_2007/media/SAM_0413_zps48d19f0d.mp4.html
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sat Jul 05 2014, 15:24
Done a good job of that, Tom. What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? 709307421

Been musing over the idea of either putting down for an allotment, or getting a polytunnel for the garden.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Mon Jul 07 2014, 19:28
harvested the peas in my planters today, the plants are dying now so i picked the peas and composted the plants, the peas in the ground are still thriving as they where planted about a month later when i was sure ( or as near as can be) the frost had gone,  then i had a ferret about under my potatoes and saw they where ready too, a busy day,  Very Happy

potatos and peas for tea,

Mon Jul 07 2014, 21:16
Lovely feature, Tomp. also you made me laugh Very Happy
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Tue Jul 08 2014, 13:24
thanks Mac, here's my latest diary update for July,

tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sat Jul 19 2014, 14:15
lunch then a further update of the progress in the garden, Very Happy 

Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Jul 20 2014, 23:21
What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? 709307421
veg grower
veg grower

Tue Jul 22 2014, 16:11
I love your videos Tomplum - you are a natural in front of the camera.

Those cucumbers are doing fantastic! flower

I am picking a few peas today, not got many this year with only having a yard!Laughing  
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum