Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

+4
Ragbru
veg grower
tomplum
Temeluchus
8 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 Empty What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Thu Jun 12 2014, 23:59
First topic message reminder :

Well, this eve, I trimmed down most of the older comfrey, which is now spent. Cut the leaves off, placed in a bucket, and weighted down, to squeeze the juice from it for some liquid feed next year.

I think the weekend will consist of tidying up the rest of the garden, and finding somewhere to plant the Kilmarnock Willow that Mrs Tem bought Rolling Eyes

Temeluchus
Temeluchus

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Sun Jul 27 2014, 13:34
Just repotted my Darlingtonia Californica Wink

Going to mow the lawn today, as it looks to be going cooler and with a chance of rain. Then I will be going (hopefully) to dig over my allotment.  Very Happy 
veg grower
veg grower

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Tue Jul 29 2014, 13:09
What can I say, I am tired of watering everything, and taking the baskets down and hanging them back up. They are high up in the yard and I have to stand on a bloody stool! Did them at 5am this morning. Found caterpillars and ants on the sunflowers - those ants are mean buggers!
maureen
maureen

Sun Aug 03 2014, 12:21
Hi Tomplum,I watched your video on cucumbers which looked brilliant,
can you tell me please which cucumbers you used,and what's your secret to get so many growing on one plant.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Sun Aug 03 2014, 22:47
Hi momac I have no secrets, there's 3 plants in 3 buckets, its the first time i've grown them so i don't really know what i'm doing, I'm on a learning curve myself, thats why I post here to gain knowlede of gardening and hopefully people will learn from my mistakes,
I planted from seed in late feb, it was a mild winter and warm spring so the seedlings grew well, from the seed trays i replanted them in small pots till they were mature plants and in april i put them in buckets in the greenhouse, i water them daily and feed them weekly with tomatoe feed,
I'll be doing another udate for august soon,
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Aug 03 2014, 23:11
So, not my garden as such, but my plot.

When I got it:

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 HectwVu

And after today:

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 KcA4NFF

About 6' x 18' left to dig over now. Smile
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Sun Aug 03 2014, 23:41
Today, yet again I tied-up Lady Boothby: something I have had to do a lot this year, she keeps getting free.

Got about twenty, and although they are only in their second season, are reaching about 15 feet. They have bloomed profusely, and with the lack of frost, last year the blooms lasted till late January.

However, the extremely heavy rains we have had, along with winds will really strip the blooms if they are not well tied to supports: and at their height, now have to do this from ladders.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Aug 03 2014, 23:46
You must have a massive garden! Shocked
maureen
maureen

Mon Aug 04 2014, 10:08
Hi Tom..ta for replying,can you remember where you got the seeds from or what the name of them were..I have one in the greenhouse but not a lot of growth with that,I planted one outdoors as well,and I've had more fruit on that one but can't remember the name of it..I love growing them..and eating them as well..ha ha.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Aug 04 2014, 10:58
Hi Momac,

I know you weren't asking me, but I had success in growing 'Marketmore' cucumbers well. You may be able to get hold of them in pots (Unwins) in Asda, for 50p per pot. What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 709307421
Ragbru
Ragbru

Mon Aug 04 2014, 11:27
Not grown Qs for many decades. When I did, it whur strictly different varieties for outdoors, or for the greenhouse.

Has that now changed?

Used to grow a 'Burpless ' variety outdoors, as we pickled, and hence consumed, very large quantities.

It whur always the variety 'Telegraph' for the greenhouse. They used to have a greenhouse all to themselves, as the growing conditions that suited them would have encouraged blight and other rot in stuff like tomato or peppers.

Guess times may have moved on since I had greenhouses.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Aug 04 2014, 11:46
They still do indoor and outdoor varieties, but I don't make a habit of growing cucumbers, as there's only Mrs Tem and one of the lads who likes them. They're not my cup of tea in all honesty.
maureen
maureen

Mon Aug 04 2014, 11:56
Thank you Temel..I'll definetly have a look in Asda..I'm already planning for next Spring.lol
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Aug 04 2014, 12:21
You can never be too prepared What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 709307421
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Mon Aug 04 2014, 14:04
Hi momac, I bought the seeds from homebase but I did't note what type I bought, I planted all the seeds in a seedtray ( about 20 seeds) but only nine sprouted, then the slugs killed 5 and I was left with 4 that matured 3 of them are bearing fruit/veg the other one died ( I dunno why)

but now the ends of the Q's are turning a lighter colour and growing a big end?? is this normal or havew i left them on the plant too long ??
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Aug 04 2014, 14:09
Probably left them a little too long, Tom. Apparently they're much better when smaller. I think they're like peas ans such too, where the more you pick them, the longer they crop for.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Mon Aug 04 2014, 14:35
Ah I suspected as much, you live and learn  Crying or Very sad thanks Tem
maureen
maureen

Mon Aug 04 2014, 15:53
Tom..methinks temel is right.I went on Mr Google for advice on storing them..I've give a couple and wrapped the other couple in kitchen roll then in a sealed plastic bag..I've got grapes growing near them,perhaps that's why I haven't had a lot..another one for Mr
Google.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Mon Aug 04 2014, 22:22
I've pulled the cucumbers off the vine, i've googled and apperantly you should't freeze um nor fridge um, so it'll be salads gallor ,cucumber sandwiches, cucumber and tomato toasties, cucumber lobbies, cucumber scollops any other suggestions,( not you Mac please) what to do with cucumbers ? What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 2027234125 
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Mon Aug 04 2014, 22:25
Picalilli?
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Tue Aug 05 2014, 15:23
picalili nice one Tem I would't have thought of that, and I could pickle some as well,  What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 2 709307421 
Ragbru
Ragbru

Tue Aug 05 2014, 15:55
Tom

On Admin's thread titled 'Pickling', I have put link to Bread and Butter Pickle.

It is made with Qs not b&b.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Tue Aug 05 2014, 16:02
I have harvested my first early potato crop.

Although generally satisfactory, there is an excess of very small (size of marbles) tubers.

Is this because of too short a growing season?

It was so excessively wet in spring, that they were late going in.

Anyone else experience similar, or know owt about why it occurs?
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Tue Aug 05 2014, 16:22
I've had all my potatoes, Ragbru. But I grew in bags. I also got a large number of small potatoes, but put it down to growing too many tubers in the same bag.

Were the leaves dying down when you harvested?
Ragbru
Ragbru

Tue Aug 05 2014, 16:44
Yes: usually I harvest first earlies when flowering over, but to give them as long as pos, this year left them till tops dying off.

Second earlies flowering over, so they too will soon be ready.

Last edited by Ragbru on Tue Aug 05 2014, 17:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Digger
Digger

Sun Aug 10 2014, 11:14
Destroyed the forsythia!  Twisted Evil 

I want to plant a load of climbers along that fence line in spring, working at the nursery now I'm seeing plants I want every day - all my wages are going to end up going back to my boss!!! Clematic, Jasmine, Lonicera - can't wait!  I love you 
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum