Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

+4
Ragbru
veg grower
tomplum
Temeluchus
8 posters
 :: Pastimes :: Gardening
Go down
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 Empty What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Thu Jun 12 2014, 23:59
First topic message reminder :

Well, this eve, I trimmed down most of the older comfrey, which is now spent. Cut the leaves off, placed in a bucket, and weighted down, to squeeze the juice from it for some liquid feed next year.

I think the weekend will consist of tidying up the rest of the garden, and finding somewhere to plant the Kilmarnock Willow that Mrs Tem bought Rolling Eyes

Digger
Digger

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Sun Aug 10 2014, 11:15
I thowt I'd added a pic then.... Sad
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What Have You Done In Your Garden Today?

Sun Aug 10 2014, 11:55
garden update, the peak of summer,

tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Wed Aug 13 2014, 14:41
phew that just knackered me up, I bought a ton of topsoil off nana jacquies company, they dropped it off for me but I had to barrow it round the house to where I need it for the new raised beds I made from the decking I took down, I think I need a lie down now, What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 49313261 
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Wed Aug 13 2014, 14:48
Lol Tom, I had to move not far off a ton of pea shingle from the front, after we had some crank coming round and asking how much it was for sale for (it wasn't) because she'd seen the advert online with my phone number (she hadn't). Apparently, the family are well known for half-inching stuff, so I moved it all myself.

I think I've not controlled the temp well enough in the greenhouse, as the tomatoes are half red/half orange, and don't seem to be ripening beyond that. It's either the heat or the feeding that causes it, and I don't think it's the feed.

Ah well.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Wed Aug 13 2014, 16:54
mines the same at the mo teme, only a couple have turned red, but its early yet i think, I'm not pushing any panick buttons just yet,
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Wed Aug 13 2014, 17:32
You can see what I mean, here.

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 OdjYjWa

At least the Chili's are doing well.

What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 KqTvZE8
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Thu Aug 14 2014, 00:46
Seriously thinking that I should quit gardening: the continuous heavy rains have just destroyed everything.  The only thing I have done in the past week, is nip out with the secateurs to cut off some of the rot in a vain hope of arresting its spread.

Ah well, C'est la vie

or maybe the word should be mort in this case.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Thu Aug 14 2014, 00:57
Don't let it get you down, Ragbru.

My first year at the new house, I bought a plastic greenhouse, thinking I'd be able to grow tomatoes, peppers etc. They grew, but I was plagued with the caterpillars that hammer the tomatoes. Sad

I got the glass greenhouse, and not had the trouble since. What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 709307421
Ragbru
Ragbru

Thu Aug 14 2014, 14:39
Have had more gardening failures in the last three years, than I had in the previous SIXTY YEARS!
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sun Aug 24 2014, 12:03
It did not rain today.

Well: not thus far.

Apart from the five hot days in July, when it was too hot for me to be gardening, I think it is the first day this year, when it has not rained.

If it stays dry, I might be able to get on with burning the mass of Weeds, Botrytis, and assorted mould and mildew that once was my garden.

Nah! in the time it has taken me to type this, thick black clouds are already obscuring the sun.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Sep 13 2014, 21:21
Today, I have planted 6 Kg of Daffodil bulbs, still have as much again to do , hopefully tomorrow.

Also ordered some 'Nemaslug' to protect them from being devoured.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sat Sep 13 2014, 21:25
Nice. What Have You Done In Your Garden Today? - Page 3 709307421 When will you be using the Nemaslug? It only works at certain temperatures, doesn't it?

I've wondered for a while now whether or not it is wise to use Nemaslug around tomatoes, potatoes etc. as eelworm is a specific pest affecting them, and was unsure whether the Nemaslug could be counter-productive.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Sep 13 2014, 21:39
Will use it as soon as it arrives, providing soil temp is above 5 deg c. (as required)

Trying an Autumn application to cut the number which manage to overwinter: will do again in spring.

Was not aware of any reason why it would have any impact on Eelworm. Do you know something that I don't concerning this? Do slugs eat Eelworm?
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sat Sep 13 2014, 22:54
No, the Nemaslug is a biological control; a strain of eelworm.

Nemaslug website says it is safe to use on food crops. I may give it a whirl next year on some tomatoes, see what happens.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Sep 13 2014, 23:44
French Marigold is the classic control for Eelworm: I don't know if if will also antagonise the parasitic nematodes in the anti slug product.

There is also a narcissus bulb nematode, so I plan to use Nemaslug up to early spring, and cease when I transplant French marigold into an interplant pattern with the daffs.

The strong growth of the daffs will probably deprive them of light, leading them to die off, but I am hoping that by then, they will have secreted sufficient from their roots to do the job, and I will have a further batch ready for transplanting when the foliage of the daffs begins to die back. (And the window between a further opportunity to zap the slugs.)
roy fisher

Thu Sep 18 2014, 18:05
ive mowed two lawns,trimmed the edges,and the grass falls in the borders,what does one do.pick it up,let it lie,or what.

Roy.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sun Oct 12 2014, 13:07
Bought another 2kg of the Daff bulbs, as ASDA were clearing last few sacks from end of pallet, for £1.

So Have planted up 5 planters, in addition to earlier plantings in the soil.

Returned to the acidic heavy clay area that I had limed in Summer, and finished the 'Bastard Trenching' in good time to move strawberry plants later this month: see what results I get from strawberries grown using deep-bed technique.

Was heavy work, but now, given both the lime, and now the huge amount of organic material incorporated, and sharp sand to enhance drainage, the soil is looking more promising.
maureen
maureen

Sun Oct 12 2014, 13:59
Yesterday decided to take all the grapes off the vine..Black Homburg..they were very small still a bit bitter and just full of pips,so decided it had to go..it was in the greenhouse and tomatoes were being crowded with it..cleaned all tomato containers and the greenhouse itself,this year I had toms in the said greenhouse and toms growing outside,the outside ones had more bigger,better ones so I'll be having a re-think next year..
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sun Oct 12 2014, 14:20
Yes, toms outdoors subject to more variable growing conditions, but I have always found they taste better than same variety under glass. In a good year, they can outperform those under glass, but can also be more at risk of total loss to frost, blight etc.

Last year, I did my best to adequately water through the earlier dry weather, but this did not compete with the deluges later in season, so lost entire crop to splitting due to uneven watering.

Previous year, lost entire crop to blight, so not grown any this year.

BTW is anyone successfully growing Black Hamburg outside, ie not under glass this far North?
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sat Oct 25 2014, 22:17
had a busy day today taking all the flowers out, the dalias are deep rooted and some of the bulbs are like potatos, I've kept a few to plant next year, rebuilt the greenhouse after the winds of this week blew panels out into nieghbours gardens, the green bin is full, the compost tubs are full and its the end of gardening for the working man, tomorrow when i get home from work its dark, its the start of sads days (season adjustable depression syndrome) Sad
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Oct 25 2014, 23:01
Busy day for me too.

Transplanted 600 strawberry plants to new location: a raised, deep bed, that has been double-spit dug. (Has had a lot of organic matter, and sharp sand incorporated, as my soil is clayey, and waterlogged.)

Guess I have about a thousand, as I still have to find a location for about a third of my stock: that prepared bed is now full, so tomorrow must hastily prepare some more space, even if it is only a holding area.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sat Oct 25 2014, 23:03
600?! Shocked

Tomorrow I am going to move my blueberry bushes, and plant the lavender plugs I received from T&M.

Then maybe go up and do some more soil prep on the allotment, sow some more vetch.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Sun Oct 26 2014, 18:27
Well, I've moved one of the blueberry bushes, and planted about 15 lavender plugs. The plots where I was going to put the other two bushes still isn't quite right, so I'm waiting for it to degrade a little more, and then will move the other two. Covered the ground with a visqueen type material.

Also doing away with the veg patch next to the greenhouse, and going to put a pond there instead. Will build some raised beds to compensate.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum