Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Slugs - update Empty Slugs - update

Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:32
Just to report the 'Nemaslug' has worked extremely well.

Had noted numbers rapidly diminish.

None found tonight: would have been hundreds before treatment, in damp conditions as prevail.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

Slugs - update Empty Re: Slugs - update

Sat Oct 04 2014, 22:22
tell me more rag bru, where do i buyit,how much is it, is it eco friendly ?
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Oct 04 2014, 23:43
Got mine by Post via Amazon tom, cost about a tenner.

Some garden centres sell it, but as I'm no longer local, cannot be more specific with advice.  Tem may know, he said he was considering the same, and asked me to say what results I got.

It is safe for use on food crops. It is a mollusc- specific parasitic nematode.  Needs to be kept in refrigerator, used fairly promptly, and requires soil temperature to be above 5 Deg C.

They say effective for about six weeks, when soil Nematode count will fall back to pre-treatment levels. (some will naturally be already present in the soil)

Most people would probably apply in spring, though the web site says an Autumn application will cut the number which over-winter.

I had a terrible slug problem, and had spent a lot of money on Spring-bloom bulbs, which I wanted to avoid becoming slug food.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Fri Oct 10 2014, 13:54
Just found and killed about a dozen inside my black bin!

Crafty buggers must have taken refuge there from the Nemaslug.

They is more intelligent than I had credited. Also a similar number in my gutters when I cleaned them few days back.
Temeluchus
Temeluchus

Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:13
Cheers, Ragbru. Slugs - update 709307421

Fear I may have missed the winter boat, however I will apply in spring. Slugs - update 709307421
Ragbru
Ragbru

Thu Jun 18 2015, 16:35
Further update on the 'Nemaslug'.

Applied last Autumn, to reduce the number of slugs overwintering, which it appeared successfully to do.

However now plenty are again present.

THE WEAKNESS OF THIS SYSTEM IS: the strawberries that have not been consumed by birds are suffering heavy slug damage. It has been such a cold May and June, that they are already bearing fruit before the soil temperature has warmed up enough to use Nemaslug.

Maybe it will work in a normal year: guidance here is that night frost should be expected till third week of May, in relation to putting out plants which are not frost hardy. This year, have had night frosts right up to mid June, and no assurance that we are yet free from them.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum