Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Daffs are emerging Empty Daffs are emerging

Fri Nov 21 2014, 16:20
Shoots From the bulbs, that is. Not the blooms.

Had noted a half dozen of the container-grown some days back, and today, noticed first shoot breakthrough of the bulbs in the ground.

Wonder which will be first to bloom this year, Daffs, or the Forsythia?

(OK late Feb is next year, not this. Though just a few times, both have had blooms BEFORE the year end.)

Daffs are emerging Empty Re: Daffs are emerging

Fri Nov 21 2014, 16:50
A cold snap will kill them Sad
Ragbru
Ragbru

Fri Nov 21 2014, 17:07
The Daffs are very hardy. They came through the minus fifteen temperature that we had about four years back.
veg grower
veg grower

Fri Nov 21 2014, 19:18
I think Mac means it will knock them on the head til spring. Smile

I agree daffs are hardy - you can throw them in the ground any old road - only being sat in water will kill them.

Fri Nov 21 2014, 19:21
My mate digs them up after flowering and puts them in a fridge
Ragbru
Ragbru

Fri Nov 21 2014, 20:12
The Daffs always cheer me up: signifying that the end of winter is just around the corner.

I planted an additional area of another 19 Kg of bulbs this year.

I need to think of what to grow on the space from late August, when their foliage dies off.

Any suggestions?

In past, I had simply placed planters on the area, but now I have a much larger space to occupy.
veg grower
veg grower

Fri Nov 21 2014, 20:46
Can you plant perrenials in the summer - or Dahlias or something that has a rhizome and has to be lifted late on? Do you lift the daff bulbs?
Ragbru
Ragbru

Fri Nov 21 2014, 21:03
No, I now have quite large areas of Daffs, and that would be a large job, and also a needless task.

I tried some white clover, to use as a 'green manure' last August. I don't know if the birds had a field day with it: very little showed in the area that had been seeded, but pockets of it appeared in other locations around the garden.
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Nov 21 2014, 22:26
Shamrock is a good spreader

Fri Nov 21 2014, 22:38
HAHA

It spread OK, just did not appear where it was originally put.
veg grower
veg grower

Sat Nov 22 2014, 10:55
Something that you wouldn't have to maul about with then but say attract the birds and bees, found this Q&A thingy as I havenever done it...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bulbs/msg0720292122140.html

Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Nov 22 2014, 14:07
Thanks VG, yes, my Daffs are very close planted, on a deep bed (Double spit dug), so it would need to be seed, and annuals grown over the area, rather than to attempt to intersperse further bulbs between the Daffs.

RHS, and most other authorities recommend NOT cutting Daff foliage, but leaving it to die-back naturally: all the nutrition to produce next years bloom has to be provided to the bulb by it.

It can get to look 'a sorry state', so many people do 'tidy' it.

My solution, rather differently, is to surround the Daffs with cane uprights, and to lash to them a tier of about six horizontal canes, making a sort of trellis all around, which supports the foliage, stopping it from flopping into the usual mess.

It works very well, and I get enormous bulbs.

Therein lies the problem. I can think of many annuals that would look attractive, but finding one that is very 'Late-season', that would not be struggling with light exclusion given presence of the Daff foliage June to July, is eluding me.
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Dec 01 2014, 10:49
What about gypsohilia and nigella?

Can't think of much else as I'm not big on flowers, apart from roses. Laughing
veg grower
veg grower

Sun Feb 15 2015, 04:45
Ragbru - have you decided what to do as regards planting with those daffs?

I have a similar area on my plot 6ft x 15ft where daffs are coming up, but I can't do much as there is a 6 ft holly tree, 15ft fir tree and a grass of sorts growing on the patch - was thinking of planting one or two shrubs whilst I can see where the daffs are.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Sat Feb 21 2015, 14:44
Hi Veg, sorry for delay. Not seen your post till now.

Order reasserted, and snowdrops did flower before Daffs.

Hoping I will get a longer Daff season this year, as some in flower, and some are still emerging shoots: we shall see.

Have not decided what to grow when their foliage has faded, so will maybe once again put planters out on the area.

I am considering planting Creeping Thyme. It is however adjacent to my strawberry beds, and I do not want to provide a refuge for slugs, where it maybe would give them cover to provide safe haven from the birds.
(Do birds eat slugs?) I used to be regularly wakened by the sound of thrushes cracking snail shells against the concrete. but have noticed their absence the last few years.
veg grower
veg grower

Mon Feb 23 2015, 10:13
I may consider Thyme myself - I have some seeds I think.  Yes birds eat slugs - blackbirds especially, and I know they eat snails.  Just in the process of organising some birdfeeders with nuts and seed.  Also hedgehogs, newts, toads and song-thrushes as you say - I hadn't heard of thrushes eating them before.  I am near a brook so I daresay I will get newts and toads too:

http://www.saga.co.uk/lifestyle/gardening/masterclass/controlling-slugs-and-snails.aspx

Edit: the grass I thought was a grass is actually a bamboo....
Ragbru
Ragbru

Mon Feb 23 2015, 18:03

Just read that blackbirds often steal the snail, after thrush has cracked the shell.

May explain why I am not seeing them.  

I think the blackbirds think that they own the garden: if I am not unearthing worms for them, come spring, they want to know why.  At least thats my interpretation of them pestering me, if I am in garden, and sitting having a drink, rather than working.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Tue Mar 31 2015, 13:43
About 80% off my daffs were in bloom.

My sister had asked me to send her a photo, when they were fully out: I had sent one last year, and I have planted another 10 kilos of bulbs last Autumn.

Damned wind has demolished them! about 10% snapped off at the base. and about 20% blown over, ie flattened.

So no photo for Sis. Thought it just me, but TV weather prog just showing picture: widespread demolition of daffs in this way.
veg grower
veg grower

Wed Apr 01 2015, 06:19
I have lost some daffs this way but only odd ones, saying that, they may be flattened by the time I get to my plot - when I nipped down the other day and it was pouring down I noticed bees tucked inside the bells as if sheltering from the rain - never seen so many on daffs before. Thor has also stood on the odd one. My mum has some miniature ones planted in the yard which I guess are more protected with 7 ft high wall. If any are still whole they could be displayed in vase.
Ragbru
Ragbru

Wed Apr 01 2015, 14:17
Those closest to the house have been the most damaged: something called building-induced wind shear.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum